Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is not really about volume it is all about pressure and hose sizes.

Bejay

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are running a log jet or suction nozzle you will need a pump capable of delivering 60-80gpm @25-30psi. The best way to determine if a pump is capable is to look at the pump charts because the differences in pump capability at pressure plays a heavy role. A Keene P90 combo can produce this while it's max rating is 100gpm, but a clear water pump may need to be rated in the 150gpm maximum range to be able to deliver this volume at this pressure.
In a centrifugal pump, the pressure and volume are directly related. You cant get to a pressure level without sufficient volume capability.
There are more efficient jets that require less volume or less pressure to produce the same suction, but in general a simple log jet or suction nozzle will fall in or close to this range.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could get a Harbor Freight 2" clear water pump and run a 2.5" with no problem, 2" dredge with room to spare. I ran that pump with a 2.5 a few years back and it worked great. I know there is a dredge builder on craigslist that uses that same pump/motor to run a 4" dredge...how well it works for that, I don't know.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run my 2in with HF 1in clear water pump, jet is a 12 jet pvc couple. Pump must be run wide, and hose is 10 Ft. If I sized up the pump to a 1.5 or 2in would be better.

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks every body for the info me and my buddy are thinking about trying to make a dredge set up for a trip out of state to Oregon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread