A good first dredge?

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the keene 4 " thou the frames are flimsy they can be beefed up very cheap...
Some folks will,tell,ya not to get a 3stage box or,a overunder setup but there really not that complex
And it won't take ya long to learn it... Just my 2 cents

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the keene 4 " thou the frames are flimsy they can be beefed up very cheap... Some folks will,tell,ya not to get a 3stage box or,a overunder setup but there really not that complex And it won't take ya long to learn it... Just my 2 cents

Thou I would not get your hopes up on them doing a overturn on dredging ! Cali is a lost state and seems to load test all the stupid ideas for the rest of the country.

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I am hoping it gets over turned. Like if the feds can raid a pot dispensary even though it is "legal" in California you would think the feds would have our back on federal mining rights. I just hope it does because I have found some places that if I could dredge I could do pretty good I think.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I am hoping it gets over turned. Like if the feds can raid a pot dispensary even though it is "legal" in California you would think the feds would have our back on federal mining rights. I just hope it does because I have found some places that if I could dredge I could do pretty good I think.
yea but it's all about a ideology , and there too many greenies who don't think about things they just react to emotion they all buy into philosophy like save the trees and kill the children.. Or global warming ....it's not about science or what's right or wrong ! Until the people of Cali stand up and shut there gov down its gona be a mess out there and it seem they just lay down and get walked all over by the gov and the loose nuts we call greenies.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say wait and see what happens with your states regulations before dropping that kind of cash on a piece of equipment you potentially can't use.
Give me 1/2 of what you were gonna spend on a dredge, I'll kick you in the crotch and we'll call it a day.
Seriously though any name brand dredge is great. Probably would not build one for your first one but that's just me.
4 inch is the most common, easy found and serviced and shouldn't be "outgrown" any time soon.
Only issue is make sure your ok with lugging that huge heavy beast around.

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I didn't plan on buying a dredge till after the ban reversal court showdown. I was just looking for some advice on dredge size and things like that. And beside I got a mining partner that works hard like me so moving a big bead dredge would not be a big deal to us, because where we would take it the gold would be so worth it

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say wait and see what happens with your states regulations before dropping that kind of cash on a piece of equipment you potentially can't use. Give me 1/2 of what you were gonna spend on a dredge, I'll kick you in the crotch and we'll call it a day. Seriously though any name brand dredge is great. Probably would not build one for your first one but that's just me. 4 inch is the most common, easy found and serviced and shouldn't be "outgrown" any time soon. Only issue is make sure your ok with lugging that huge heavy beast around.
nice short cut to the pain!
I agree thou wait and don't built your first!
And right on the money! dredges are a lot like race cars most any of the brands will work good if you have the right nut behind the wheel!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to fish and wild life website(CDFG) and the regs are posted--95% closed,95% of the time and when /where you can dredge is not gold country. Then add in 3 permits(dredge$1,200++) and 2 from water boards for a big 2 week season and 3' from any shore in the middle of the winter in snow country. These insipid court cases mean absolutely nuttn' as the regs killed dredging anyhow,what a hoot lawyers raking in $2,500 a hour to get ya zip.....look elsewher QUICK as Oregon on it's last legs,Idaho,Maine gone and others falln' like autumn leaves in the fall. Get a nice sluicebox and have a ball. John

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to fish and wild life website(CDFG) and the regs are posted--95% closed,95% of the time and when /where you can dredge is not gold country. Then add in 3 permits(dredge$1,200++) and 2 from water boards for a big 2 week season and 3' from any shore in the middle of the winter in snow country. These insipid court cases mean absolutely nuttn' as the regs killed dredging anyhow,what a hoot lawyers raking in $2,500 a hour to get ya zip.....look elsewher QUICK as Oregon on it's last legs,Idaho,Maine gone and others falln' like autumn leaves in the fall. Get a nice sluicebox and have a ball. John
Sir John the real reason for the ban is gold is going to smash through record highs. And they (those in charge of ruining our economy" don't want lil rednecks like us tearing off a piece of their pie. They have successfully destroyed the middle class and they aim to keep it that way. There will never be another gold rush no matter how high prices get. They'l just make it illegal to touch PMs in any way shape or form. Time to revolt!

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I don't know about that Sticks. If gold rises to $2K or more, many may be changing their minds about wanting to dredge. Money changes people. It may be the only way to lift the ban??? Otherwise John is right.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
b,You will get a great deal somewhere, but understand unless you have an area that is very private to use one, you may be wasting your $$. Check out Victor Marshall videos as this is the way it is done without a dredge. Minimal expense to find gold.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could buy all the dredges you can get your hands on and when the ban is lifted you can double your money overnight without even getting your feet wet. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread