Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is a home build , he did a very nice job of it.

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching Craigslist near me but equipment is rare.
I have a few questions unrelated to this CL post...

I have a Proline 2.5 inch flare dredge with power jet. I was wondering if I could make a stand for it and turn it into a fixed position dredge instead of a floating dredge. I believe this will cut down on the weight when carting it into remote areas.
Any problems or reasons why this is not possible?

Second I know people take dredge pumps and put them onto el-cheapo motors sometimes.
I was wondering how hard it was to attach a pump to a random motor?
For example I have a Honda mower where the deck and handle is shot but the motor runs great. Why couldn't I attach a dredge pump to it?
Which brings up my next question. Why are all dredge pumps horizontally mounted? Like with a lawn mower engine the shaft sticks out of the bottom, could a dredge pump be mounted pointing downwards?

Thanks

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If that is a home build , he did a very nice job of it.

I have to agree. Home built or built in a shop what difference does it matter. Some of the best builds are built by individuals. Very clean looking dredge and workmanship.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2020 Keene had some 3" and 2.5" dredges with a vertical shaft , so the pump was underwater. Prehistoric ,but they worked OK. You can certainly dredge without floatation. In a small creek towards the end of Summer sometimes you almost have to.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called puddle jumpin'

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice workmanship on the build even though the motor/pump is mounted too high and too far forward. Would be hard to pull the rope starter while in the water and be top heavy in rough water. Also with the weak pump you will have lots of plug ups in the hose.

GG~

Last edited:

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Last year I found an old keene 3" and after the motor went out I replaced it with the same motor and pump on this unit for 200$. All told with new mats and motor I have 1000$ in mine and am quite happy. To spend the coin on the pictured dredge I personally would look around for a 4" with air and a hp pump for a little more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread