dredge riffles

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im wondering if anyone knows offhandwhat the height angle and type and spacing of most of the dredges out there use. Id be especially interested in the dimentions of keene and prolines. Ive seen it mentioned in this forum that they run from 5/8-1 1/4 ish but nothing exact. I figure if i can make an exact copy of theirs i cant go wrong right? So if anyone has the time to grab a tape measure and and angle finder for me id greatly appreciate :) oh ya im mainly interested in 4" dredge riffles.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
IMHO dredge riffels need tobe made for specific sizes / shapes of gold. a shorter height in riffels for fine gold and the opposite for chuncky gold. plus screens and other mats to custom tune your sluice for your particular creeks gold. so not knowing where your located or what is the average size / makeup of your gold it would be hard fro me to say. BUT that's just me!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different dredge sizes mandate different size,spacing and heights so for info must be exact. Modified hungarian riffles are the absolute best to create the back eddy in a high water flow dredge. Regular ol'hungarians rock a sluice but much lower volume of water and cobbles also. Hit the keene,proline,dahkle,nugget websites and just look at size/configurations. John

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in northeast ohio. Mostly flypoop size gold specs with the occasional picker. -30to-200. I have a keene 180 with an over under 16"w sluice. How about angle? I dont know anyone to compare to and its really tough to judge from pictures.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want the best gold catching riffles, consider 3 to 4 pound grating, also called 3 or 4 pound expanded metal or cat walk.
I ran this stuff in a 4" last year on my upper section and captured gold like crazy. In my underflow I used 3/4" raised expanded over vortex.

The grating will catch nuggets also.

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the line with heckler fab and i think im going with the modified hungarian. However they do seem to love the modified clarkson. I know it needs alot of flow he thinks a p180 can do it. What do you guys think? Ever use clarksons? They also said they have the hungarians welded close to 45° plus and minus a few degrees for variety. I like the idea of the 4pound too omni, i may have to get some to play around with.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's awesome stuff. while it may only be 1/2" tall you'll end up with many more capture zones/vortex's. I built a 6" dredge this year and was using that 'till I could get my GH mats. I'll never go back to metal riffles again!

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was eyein up those mats myself. My dad has the ur mat and scrubber maybe, on his hibanker and he loves it. Whats the best in a dredge? The river hog? You have the mats upper or lower?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Stick with the expanded metal idea. Least cost with decent to best results. Fine gold, fine riffles.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run all river hog, one level. It's a waste to do a over/under with gh mats. They already catch down to -200's. I find 90%+ of my gold under the punch plate with the rest getting less and less down the mats till there is nothing in the bottom. The only bad thing I have to say about the mats is you have to run your engines almost wide open to create the needed water speed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread