Dredge nozzle question

tree.10

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello i am looking for some advice on the function of a power jet.
dredgepic.jpg
i have a 45 degree tee fitting which is 1.5 inches, i have capped the inside and put a 8mm hole to produce a jet effect. this is fed by a 3/4 inch hose connected with a solvent weld hosetail. will this set up in theory work. i am just using the nozzle to suck mud out of the bottom of a pond.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/tree-10/nozzle.jpg

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8mm jet opening sounds good for 1 1/2" jet. 3/4" hose feed should be large enough. I expect it will work fine for your use, but I would keep output at 1 1/2 and not reduce it to 1" or you will create back pressure and reduce suction.

OP
OP
T

tree.10

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the input, i will give it a try and update

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11 degree angle is mandatory a 45 is lousy for suction production. Industry standard for over 60 years or so per studies by Bureau of Reclaimation spent millions testing. You'd be much better off just using a hose and gravity fed to simply siphon clean if possible to a lower elevation,even a foot works-John

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, He is building a simple suction nozzle not a log jet with the 45 being the suction input not the jet. the jet is inline. Please see his pic's.

OP
OP
T

tree.10

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the nozzle worked perfectly, i just have a few questions for anyone interested
1. will decreasing the suction hoses tip or diameter cause more suction
2. how does lift height affect the performance and is lift height from the tip of the suction hose or water surface
3. will deeper water produce a better jet effect
here is the completed nozzle
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/tree-10/dnozzlefinished.jpg

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear tree,

Decreasing the hose tip will provide a feeling of more suction when placing your hand over the input, however volume will be diminished and the true result is less volume/less overall suction/less ability to move material. A nozzles ability to reach out and pull material in is more based on jet/hose/nozzle diameter than suction strength. Generally speaking the reach is equivalent to the diameter. ie.. 2" nozzle has 2" reach. 4"nozzle has 4" reach. While this can vary some, you will still need to get close with a 1 1/2 nozzle.

Adding length to increase depth will add friction losses and reduce suction. Lift above the waterline is the greatest loss so keeping this down is best.

OP
OP
T

tree.10

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pond i plan on using this is 4 foot deep with a 18 inch rise above the water level to remove dirt. if i connected a 10 foot hose on the suction tip at the same diameter would it be expected that i would loss the majority of the suction from the jet just on the hose alone.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say how much will be lost without knowing how much measured suction the jet has. It has been my experience that adding 10ft of hose results in a similar loss to raising the outlet an extra 1 ft above the water. If 10ft is what would work best for use than I would try it and cut back the hose only if needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread