Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This last trip sucked, partner was a no show. I spent a month on the claim trying to move boulders with rope winch, too many too big. I am looking into the microblaster any one ever tried one? BTW it is a small charge that cracks rocks and boulders reducing them to more manageable pieces. I have an 18 volt dewalt hammer drill, don't know how many holes it would do on a charge. Thinking of taking my honda compressor up there and getting a pnumatic drill for the shots. Found pickers in the overburden just couldn't get to bedrock. I would be using a capstan rope winch and blocks to remove broken pieces. Whacha think. Also thinking of grabbing a Tanaka gas drill, would be easier in the long run than dragging compressor up there. So total about 2K and boulder probs go away.

Last edited:

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sierra Blaster was at the show in placerville, i think it was $700 initial cost and like a $1 for each cartridge, deaf would like to get one, was told you don’t need a permit

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last trip sucked, partner was a no show. I spent a month on the claim trying to move boulders with rope winch, too many too big. I am looking into the microblaster any one ever tried one? BTW it is a small charge that cracks rocks and boulders reducing them to more manageable pieces. I have an 18 volt dewalt hammer drill, don't know how many holes it would do on a charge. Thinking of taking my honda compressor up there and getting a pnumatic drill for the shots. Found pickers in the overburden just couldn't get to bedrock. I would be using a capstan rope winch and blocks to remove broken pieces. Whacha think. Also thinking of grabbing a Tanaka gas drill, would be easier in the long run than dragging compressor up there. So total about 2K and boulder probs go away.

Boy, right up my "alley". I've used both literally hundreds of times and I can go on and on about what I like and don't like. First of all, personally, I think the best portable drill I've used (and I don't know much about battery operated drills) is the Ryobi ER160. It is a 1980's gas powered drill that uses SDS bits and does a pretty good job with both systems. I ordered the new Milwaukee M12v sds battery operated drill and wasn't impressed. I only got 2, 9" holes out of it. Don't ask why I used the 12v (weight was one consideration)

I've used the Micro Blaster for a couple of years, and although it does a pretty good job (I have the 3 head version), it has some shortcomings:

1. The 5/16" drill is small enough that it burns up pretty quickly in the bedrock I have been drilling. I can only get maybe 2 or 3 holes out of a drill before it is toast. That has to do with just not enough surface area to dissipate heat.
2. The one I have is air fired and you need at least a gast air compressor and often times, falling rocks may nick a line and cause a leak and you are done. I even went to getting a paint ball CO2 24 oz cartridge for firing, but even they are limited in shots and when it gets cold out, they don't work so well.
3. The 5/16 drill is small enough that it wanders, especially if you are drilling a 24" deep hole.
4. The charges are expensive $2 ea and much smaller than the SB
5. If the hole gets wet, you are done.
6. My main issue was the "heads" of the MB were very heavy, as the weight held them in the hole. I suggested to my friend, since we are usually working around head sized rocks all day, do we REALLY need to carry something THAT heavy into our worksites? I am already carrying a lot of heavy stuff in to in-accessible places, do I need to carry another few more pounds?
7. Misfires are pretty common

Pros for the MB: since I have both, I would use the MB for smaller rocks that don't need as big of an explosion, for quicker, shallower drills, using a portable 18oz CO2 tank for the compressed air firing source.

Pros of the SB:

1. SB can be run off AC or battery. In the battery configuration, it is VERY portable. The only weight issue is the drill. Electrical charged means less misfires
2. System is much cheaper than the MB, so are the charges
3. SB has blasting heads that are made of Aluminum and are very lightweight. No need to carry heavy heads, as there are plenty of rocks around to us as weight to hold them into the hole.
4. Thicker SB drill bit dissipates heat better, drills faster and doesn't wander. SB imports drills that work better on bedrock than any other drills I have used from several sources.
5. No flyrock, just a clean-through split.
6. Did I mention the charges are waterproof? So if you are working in a tunnel, no need to worry about getting the charges wet, and if you need specimen pieces you may want to use this other than the big stuff.
7. You can set off up to 8 charges simultaneously
8. Lots of safety features

I can honestly say I have used the SB at least 200 times so far and in my estimation it is a game changer. Now the prospector can use a portable device to get under rocks that no one has ever gotten under. Think about all those "worked over" locations you've been to and and have literally walked by pickup sized rocks that you know no one has ever gotten under, or what about those bedrock crevice "pinches" that you could never get a tool into? With the SB you will easily be in virgin territory. Not a sales pitch, just a satisfied user. There is nothing I can say is wrong with this device as every issue I have had has been resolved.

The biggest rock I have dealt with was about 8 feet in diameter. It took about 8 single shots ($12) to make it into smaller, manageable pieces (that was before it was able to do simultaneous charges). My new portable system can do 8 simultaneous charges, but I haven't found a rock big enough that I want to try it on yet. I am working up to it.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy, right up my "alley". I've used both literally hundreds of times and I can go on and on about what I like and don't like. First of all, personally, I think the best portable drill I've used (and I don't know much about battery operated drills) is the Ryobi ER160. It is a 1980's gas powered drill that uses SDS bits and does a pretty good job with both systems. I ordered the new Milwaukee M12v sds battery operated drill and wasn't impressed. I only got 2, 9" holes out of it. Don't ask why I used the 12v (weight was one consideration)

I've used the Micro Blaster for a couple of years, and although it does a pretty good job (I have the 3 head version), it has some shortcomings:

1. The 5/16" drill is small enough that it burns up pretty quickly in the bedrock I have been drilling. I can only get maybe 2 or 3 holes out of a drill before it is toast. That has to do with just not enough surface area to dissipate heat.
2. The one I have is air fired and you need at least a gast air compressor and often times, falling rocks may nick a line and cause a leak and you are done. I even went to getting a paint ball CO2 24 oz cartridge for firing, but even they are limited in shots and when it gets cold out, they don't work so well.
3. The 5/16 drill is small enough that it wanders, especially if you are drilling a 24" deep hole.
4. The charges are expensive $2 ea and much smaller than the SB
5. If the hole gets wet, you are done.
6. My main issue was the "heads" of the MB were very heavy, as the weight held them in the hole. I suggested to my friend, since we are usually working around head sized rocks all day, do we REALLY need to carry something THAT heavy into our worksites? I am already carrying a lot of heavy stuff in to in-accessible places, do I need to carry another few more pounds?
7. Misfires are pretty common

Pros for the MB: since I have both, I would use the MB for smaller rocks that don't need as big of an explosion, for quicker, shallower drills, using a portable 18oz CO2 tank for the compressed air firing source.

Pros of the SB:

1. SB can be run off AC or battery. In the battery configuration, it is VERY portable. The only weight issue is the drill. Electrical charged means less misfires
2. System is much cheaper than the MB, so are the charges
3. SB has blasting heads that are made of Aluminum and are very lightweight. No need to carry heavy heads, as there are plenty of rocks around to us as weight to hold them into the hole.
4. Thicker SB drill bit dissipates heat better, drills faster and doesn't wander. SB imports drills that work better on bedrock than any other drills I have used from several sources.
5. No flyrock, just a clean-through split.
6. Did I mention the charges are waterproof? So if you are working in a tunnel, no need to worry about getting the charges wet, and if you need specimen pieces you may want to use this other than the big stuff.
7. You can set off up to 8 charges simultaneously
8. Lots of safety features

I can honestly say I have used the SB at least 200 times so far and in my estimation it is a game changer. Now the prospector can use a portable device to get under rocks that no one has ever gotten under. Think about all those "worked over" locations you've been to and and have literally walked by pickup sized rocks that you know no one has ever gotten under, or what about those bedrock crevice "pinches" that you could never get a tool into? With the SB you will easily be in virgin territory. Not a sales pitch, just a satisfied user. There is nothing I can say is wrong with this device as every issue I have had has been resolved.

The biggest rock I have dealt with was about 8 feet in diameter. It took about 8 single shots ($12) to make it into smaller, manageable pieces (that was before it was able to do simultaneous charges). My new portable system can do 8 simultaneous charges, but I haven't found a rock big enough that I want to try it on yet. I am working up to it.

Hope this helps
Thank you so much for your reply Minerrick! that is some pretty awesome advice. I will look hard into the SB end of it. I take it that is Sierra Blaster? I will look into that drill you mentioned as well. The tanaka I spoke of is not a rotary hammer so I'm not going that route. Have since found online a drill from loink.com that should be able to handle the job. I definitely want to get under some large boulders and virgin bedrock. Most of the holes would be wet. I can totally relate to having to pack heavy gear into the bush, so any reduction in weight would be appreciated. This is the Pac North West and rain is constant, working in the wet is critical. I use both a rope winch and grip hoist that will easily move 2-3 foot diameter boulders with many blocks. The show stoppers are anything larger than that and they are numerous. The Old Timers worked this gulch by hand and avoided the boulder piles, I heard they left for Alaska during the rush. Overburden runs 6-10 feet. Right next to camp on an old pay streak is a 12ft diameter boulder that I would love to break. Once again just want to say thank you for your time giving me advice. I am sure that I will bug you with more questions soon. My best to you Sir.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

could you post a link to some reliable manufactures? Most that I have seen online have poor reviews. I would like to have a bucket of say 20 sets. I did see some that looked pretty tough that were about $10 a set. Pretty time consuming though. However would be a great addition to my gear. Thank you for your time Goldchaser

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How big of boulders are you dealing with?

Hi Neighbor just south of you near Salem. Lots over 3ft diameter. Some look like VW bugs. As a matter of fact allot of them do. Thanks for replying. My best to you

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sierra Blaster was at the show in placerville, i think it was $700 initial cost and like a $1 for each cartridge, deaf would like to get one, was told you don’t need a permit

I'm sold thank you for that, I'm pretty jealous that you got to go to the show in placerville. By thy way I love your Orwell quote. My many thanks to all Oath Keepers.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show stoppers are anything larger than that and they are numerous. The Old Timers worked this gulch by hand and avoided the boulder piles, I heard they left for Alaska during the rush. Overburden runs 6-10 feet. Right next to camp on an old pay streak is a 12ft diameter boulder that I would love to break.

Next summer I will pick up 4 more heads. There are several 20' diameter rocks I'd like to work on, myself. I am looking forward to see what 8 simultaneous charges will do. If you live in the Pacific NW, the Sierra Blaster is definitely what you want. If the microblaster charges get drenched, they are useless. I know for a fact that the SB works in (very) wet conditions- been there, done that. This weekend I will use the 4 head blast on a couple of big rocks. Maybe I will film it and post it for you guys so you can see what it does (if I can remember to bring the camera).

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes yes remember the camera, I would appreciate it thank you Minerrick. I talked to the SB guy on the phone he said that he won't have any avail for a lil while.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes yes remember the camera, I would appreciate it thank you Minerrick. I talked to the SB guy on the phone he said that he won't have any avail for a lil while.

Brought the camera, got a bunch of great blasts.

I just created a youtube page, so hopefully this link works: The resolution was low, because I didn't know what resolution to use when cutting down the video in IMovie

So we used 3 heads with a main charge and a helper in each hole. The size of the rock is about 5 feet tall by 5 feet long. Total cost was around $6 to crack the rock. When we finished there were numerous spider cracks throughout the rock. We had to get the wrecking bar in there, and with a little prying we pulled several 300-600 lb pieces off the rock. We may need to use one more charge to break the last standing piece that is about 5 feet tall by 2 feet thick. It is set into the hillside and there are spider cracks on it, but nothing big enough to get a wrecking bar into.

Like I said, this thing is a game changer.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, on the topic of SDS Drills: Dana (the Sierra Blaster Inventor) suggests getting a Harbor Freight 900w generator ($99) and a Harbor Freight SDS drill (approx $60- the cheaper one). The generator is pretty light and the drill works great.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should look at one of these: TRACTEL® | Tirfor® – Wire rope winch

If you search griphoist on youtube there are lots of videos of it's use moving boulders and stuff.

I have been using a Winches Plus (Winches Plus) 10,500 lb hydraulic winch that has a remote Honda & pump platform separated from the actual hydraulic winch (which is mounted on its own frame that can be bolted to the bedrock). I have been using this system for over 8 years and have literally moved thousands of tons of rocks with it and it works flawlessly. It has a 2 speed winching capability, so if the rocks are small (100-300 lbs) they will scoot along into my pile. I have a rock pile at this location that is pretty impressive, and I probably move tens of tons of rock fragments a day.

I just got off the phone with the owner of Winches Plus and he tells me that his system can run multiple winches, simultaneously. Woo Hoo, have I got some ideas for next year......

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you should look at one of these: TRACTEL® | Tirfor® – Wire rope winch

If you search griphoist on youtube there are lots of videos of it's use moving boulders and stuff.

Your right those are a great tool out there but they are pretty slow. I used that primarily last season and spent most of the time moving boulders. Get a set of truck chains too for a boulder harness. I have since picked up a capstan rope winch that a guy built out of a deck winch and a stihl chainsaw, thing is awesome but heavy. My next winch will be the smaller simpson with a honda motor. Light weight yet lots of power those 600lb to 1000lb chunks no problem. The simpson guy has the best warranty as well. I talked to someone that bought one used and he backed over it and cracked the case on it. Sent it to simpson and they sent him a brand new one. You can't beat that. My tu-17 tirfor winch, I wish that I had vid of this but this Spring while dredging I barred out some 1000lb bedrock slabs and rigged it with a block and rode the slab as I winched it up out of the hole. I found that I had way more leverage than winching from a stationary object, meaning that the bar was easier to use both hands to operate. When You fix it static you are only using one arm to winch with. Great post though Shunkaha.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also, on the topic of SDS Drills: Dana (the Sierra Blaster Inventor) suggests getting a Harbor Freight 900w generator ($99) and a Harbor Freight SDS drill (approx $60- the cheaper one). The generator is pretty light and the drill works great.

Awesome vid Minerrick, thank you for that. Your right I can see that being a total game changer I can't wait to get one! You can obviously relate to what I was saying about showstoppers. Always nice to talk to some one who has been there, done that and solved the problem. I'm torn on the harbor freight part though. I'm not rich,quite the opposite, but I am wary about packing cheap tools all the way in there. I had a hf gen and I almost shot the thing. I gave it to my Son and he can start it in 3 pulls. So we grabbed a 1400w honda on craigs list for $200 works awesome but a bit loud. I have to figure out how to post on you tube a vid of this highbanker that we built.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we grabbed a 1400w honda on craigs list for $200 works awesome but a bit loud. .

If you've got a honda for $200, don't bother with the HF generator. With the honda, I'd be looking for a nice demo hammer too.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you've got a honda for $200, don't bother with the HF generator. With the honda, I'd be looking for a nice demo hammer too.

Those winches look wicked! I have never heard of them before, now I have a new item for wish list if I ever win the lottery or find a nice pocket. That G-120 should do it. How do you get that up to your site weighing in at 185lbs? $2400 is not that bad of a price considering it would likely pay itself off fairly quickly. I am almost thinking about selling my M-7 wave table to cover the SB and possibly this winch. Those tables go pretty fast used if the price is right. Truth is I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. I just keep dumping cons into a 55gal drum to work later. Current price of gold is bummin me out lately so not too enthused about working cons. I like to go get cons but hate working them lol. I was seriously eyeballing one of those Honda powered rope winches from Power winch at $1500 uses 1/2" rope, but this system you have is only $900 more and duty. I grabbed an antique fresno or slip scoop that I intend to drag out cobbles or possibly feed high banker with. That G-120 would do it no problem. BTW your right lots of possibilities if your system can run multiple winches. You would love our spot well off the road no lookyloos, and boulder rich environment plenty of blastin to do. Great post thanks for the info, you have really offered solutions to my problems.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread