Crash box for a 6 inch dredge?

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got another question regarding 6 inch dredges. I'm trying to find out if a crash box can be used on a 6 inch dredge. I have not seen one using a crash box only flares. I would be making it myself an my main worry is if a crash box will be able to take the beating from the material that comes out of a 6 inch.

My main reason for wanting to go with a crash box is size constraints. A sluice with a crash box is a lot shorter then a sluice with a flare.

Thanks

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only matters when put together. Make a flaired crashbox header. Keene made them for quite a few years,I use one on old faithful 4". Not as long or wide but still facilitates what ya need,I call'm semi flare as they were the first copies of the PESCO flaired style jets.. Turn up the engine and lay flatter to crash,rise and lower rpm to flair better. Go over under classification for the best fines retention and a nice long flow curtain as smooth flow and deaireation is important. A 6" is my favorite dredge as you can really move some material and not all that expensive in comparison to running say a 8-10" monster. Lots a luck with your build-John

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John can you post some pictures of the semi-flare it sounds like an interesting concept. And I am planning on building it as an over under so that it will be more forgiving on fines.

Thanks

OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would a 6.5 and 5.5 both with hp400's work for a crash box and a 22"x72" sluice. I was possibly going to upgrade my 4 to a hp400 anyways. So this may just speed that up.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've ran quite a few even with dual 5hp, like I asked prior-what jet -single with a Y or dual inducted and size of inductors is the predicaing factor on configurations. Akin to saying a 4 banger is faster than a 6 cylinder as each component of the whole matters greatly. Age of keene pumps also most important as new pump pumps MUCH more than old style. Looked for pics but all I found was in action of sides,front,insides of screen configurations on over/under and such,will have to scan or take a pic of my extra headers. Just like a big flare but half the size. John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mgumby16

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It will be a duel inducter I believe similar to prolines 6 inch. 2 inch high pressure lines going in on opposite sides of the jet log. Both 2 inch will be reduced to an inch and quarter and intersect the jet log at about 9 degrees.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The portable backpack rat II dredge uses a similar concept , I guess ? it is a flare that protrudes to take the shape of a crash box at the end. Yes John pics will be defiantly appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread