Need some advice on buying a highbanker/dredge combo.

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highbanker/Dredge combo's all work about the same but the prices and durability vary a lot depending on the brand. Proline is probably the most durable but also the most expensive with Keene being a close second. Jobe and Martin are good systems just a little lighter material, I use Jobe and have nothing but good to say about it. The Jobe and Martin are the least expensive.
The biggest advise I can offer is to get the 2.5" or bigger ( I think Proline has a 3" combo, if so get the 3" if you go with Proline ) .
Size really does matter so pay the little extra and go big!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SSP, ya l;ookin <-- fat fingers, to buy new or used?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a used ,but not abused, Proline and you'll be happy for the next 25 years as built industrial tough with a REAL dredge assembly and no insipid grizzly bars to lose your gold-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seen a very nice Proline 3" combo on Medford Craigslist recently, price was real good too, so might be gone by now. If you don't mind the drive, better prices and bigger selection up that way.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i agree with HJ proline does have best built products be handin down to your youngins

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fine Recovery makes a pretty good one, I like it better than the pro line as it has carpet in the upper section under 3/16" punch plate to catch your fines, riffles in lower sluice. With that system most of your gold is in the upper section. Running that as a 3" dredge is going to take a pretty good pump. That is a lot of lift to get up in the top box. I'm not sure if Loui is still making them but if you look hard you can find them near Salem, Or on craigs list. There is another guy here that stocks them used Capitol Prospecting in Salem. If you got lots of coin I would say buy both a good highbanker and a separate 3" dredge in the long run you will be happier. If you get the right ones you can use the same pump for both. There is nothing wrong with saving money by going with used. If you play your cards right you could probably get both for the price of one new. This is the time of year to buy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread