Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that cart is awesome, two inline wheels! Ya I got a real narrow trail and the wheel base on that cart I was looking at making is 33" I would have to blast tons and tons of rock on the high side of my trail to get that thing in there. Real steep on the down hill side too, weird looking at an old growth doug fir standing on it's top with the root wad straight up in the air. Then to look up hill and not be able to tell where it came from. I couldn't get a quad up there and no place to turn it around. But that cart you have there would be perfect. Might be a little wide but I'm only looking for something to haul in pump motors, chain,winch etc. No still have the same un enthused wishy washy partner who thinks all my stuff is "Stupid Heavy" and I've found that so called partners are rarely there when your haulin in and almost never there when your haulin out. I can't even get the guy to watch the safety video from Sierra Blaster. My dog won't even go in there with me, lol. I'll find someone, no worries. Your right MinerRick, awful dangerous and stupid to be up there by yourself. Pinned, impaled, crushed, stung, snake bit, gored, cut, attacked by any number of four legged things. Then to top it all off all the tweekers think your pulling in pounds of AU and are an easy mark, likely won't hear or see them coming. I would really love to see some more detailed pics of that cart you have there Sir. If you ever decide to get rid of it please let me know, it would be worth the drive... Rob

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I clicked on the photos and it enlarged nicely so no need to send more unless I could send you a donation to pull that platform off and shoot a couple from the topside. I have a lil orange pocket bike with a 3hp briggs I think on it might be able to get it runnin and do something like this with it. Excellent post MinerRick, thanks for the idea. Your cart is frickin awesome Man!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another set of handles on the front for dual stability and good to go as your partnered up. Seen deaths at Jankee Jims,SF American,Dog Creek and a few others from folks being alone and getting into stupid situations also(newbs). I've counted over 225 meat bee stings on Blackbone and he too nearly died on me . BUT HORNETS my god the worst of the worst of the worst,suicide really, your :censored: lucky you lived as even 1 is horrendous but multiple WOW :notworthy:-John

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Now that cart is awesome, two inline wheels! "

I was talking to the owner of Neetcarts: Neet Kart and suggested he try to find a way to add a small motor to the front wheel- as THAT cart in a motorized version, would be ideal. He was going to look into it.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a cable and pulley system? Go straight down and straight up? Leave the trails for the humans? You could use a weed eater motor to run a very small set of pneumatic tires to power the pulley for the way out(up).

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go! Now we are getting the mechanically inclined to put their heads into this:

Kazcoro, I'm not picturing what you are suggesting. If you are talking about the tires for the cart, they would have to be tall so they could overcome any obstacles you would encounter on the trail.

I too was thinking of maybe even some sort of small centrifugal clutch powering some sort of small belt system dropping vertically to the drive wheel. I'd try to design something with a much lower center of gravity though, as motors and dredges, and winches get pretty heavy- especially on a narrow trail. Speed isn't really a factor as you don't want to go any faster than a normal walking pace.

The unique part of this cart is the steering is in the rear and the wheel articulates. If the cart were much lighter, and the center of gravity lower, you could employ something similar - steering-wise- for the rear. It's a little weird at first using it, but after a while you get used to it.

Again, my issue is even this cart is too heavy for my trail as there are several locations where there are rock intrusions on the trail where any wheeled device would not be able to cross, and as such it would be much nicer to be able to try to lift the carrier (for short distances) over such situations.

It is really amazing someone hasn't yet designed a cart for working on a single track trail- my friend was planning on marketing this and selling it, but he passed away before he got that far. His brother has a newer version, and perhaps his brother may bring it to the market some day

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe that you are talking some type of zip line system, that would be nice but the trees blow down there on a regular basis but I like the leave the trails to the humans part, lol.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another iteration of an equipment cart that I was looking into and lightweight as well...... why not fabricate an off road electric scooter, like this:

THE BEAST | ELECTRIC OFF-ROAD SCOOTER - seat is too low, I'd want to stand up with my cargo pack on, and it is a little "too" heavy duty and not light enough to portage where I would need, but it is an idea

or something like this: Rover electric scooter prepares to tackle road or dirt with more ground clearance, bigger wheel- I like the big platform to stand on

or something like this with a taller seat: 800w E-scooter Off Road Scooter Adult Scooter For Sale (ld-es800d) - Buy 800w E-scooter Off Road Scooter Adult Scooter For Sale,Off Road Scooter,Adult Scooter For Sale Product on Alibaba.com (this one is getting close)

Kick scooter converted into awesome all-terrain electric scooter
KTM E-Speed electric scooter to hit serial production in 2015 - Indian Cars Bikes

To give you guys some ideas. Here is my thinking:

1. Lightweight and easy to manage for carrying over downed trees and over rocky sections
2. Electric - two reasons:
a. Quiet
b. When USFS has combustion motor bans during extreme fire seasons, you can still travel
3. Rather than create a heavy platform to carry stuff in, I have a perfectly healthy back which can hold a cargo pack that can do the same thing and it is much more portable. Now granted moving a 80lb winch wouldn't be ideal on my back, but if the standing platform was long or wide enough, you could put the really heavy stuff on it and you just straddle it.
3. I would prefer to stand up, as if there were some sort of issue, I would rather just easily step off the platform.
4. Mechanically and structurally much simpler and less to go wrong.
5. Conceivably you could build a basket either on the front or back for more storage.
6. Easy to transport
7. I prefer inline as my trails are very narrow and precipitous, so a parallel track wouldn't work for me; but it may work for others.

If any of you guys design something like this, I am a buyer. Send me photos and I am there.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some more ideas: track-pulling.jpg YM_Straddle.jpg Snow_vehicleBRP.jpg electricsnowsled-10.jpg

The first one is pretty cool and you can make some modifications for hauling stuff. Unfortunately the inventor isn't in production. But it is a very cool idea for both overland and oversnow vehicle.

The others all you need to do is get rid of the front ski and add a tire and you are good to go.

The last one shows an iteration of the first one, for those of you who have double tracks or wide roads to go in on. I am pretty sure the single track version of this thing would go pretty much everywhere. It may be a little weird on a couple of spots on my trail, but it would definitely work for my other, (relatively) easier to-get-to claims.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions