Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello smart bench, anyone ever built one of these? Would be nice to haul everything from motor/pump to hoses etc. Was hoping that someone had built one and had plans or pics or a link to one. Thinking rototiller motor and drive with a platform on top, should be fairly simple but can't find one. I did see tracked wheelbarrows online spendy.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a long way off from an atv as bad as I wan one for my property, hunting and prospecting. Funny this thread was posted. As I am pretty set on converting a riding mower into a self propelled wash plant. They can be had running for under 300 bucks on craigslist. I will rip it all the way down to the rolling chassis.And rebuild hard points and modular frame so that the hopper and sluice box can be attached for transport and reset to run once in place. They have 10 to 16 hp motors depending on the model. set up a good pto or pulley system and you could run any size pump you would ever need at an idle. you could even run a vibratory classifier. Still have the attachment for a trailer. and a large gas tank built in. Its not gonna be a go everywhere rig but, for the trail on our claim its perfect. And the sluice will still be available for use where the little doodlebug can't. The frame will be adjustable to deal with leveling issues.I will definitely be starting a thread when I get started.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need no motor just good engineer job-ol'CalGoldDredger made this dream of a cart,brakes mandatory on all-otherwise a motorized dredge hauler is called an atv---John

Attachments

• WinchCart.jpg
    WinchCart.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 136

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello smart bench, anyone ever built one of these? Would be nice to haul everything from motor/pump to hoses etc. Was hoping that someone had built one and had plans or pics or a link to one. Thinking rototiller motor and drive with a platform on top, should be fairly simple but can't find one. I did see tracked wheelbarrows online spendy.

A friend of mine built one that was really interesting: Two inline wheels, with a 3' wide cargo deck above. The front wheel was the drive wheel and you steered with the movable rear wheel. Too bad he passed away, because it would have been a miner's cart for sure. I was thinking of getting a big game cart with w bicycle wheel in the center, attached by chain to a small honda weedeater motor. You cannot drive anything with two side by side wheels on any of my trails.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't mind packing smaller stuff but the two man packs are pretty lame especially when the other is a no show. Steep trail and 30" wheel base would be pretty scary, long ways down. I do like the idea of the miners cart you spoke of. I built a highbanker last spring that is a lot like the goldfield prospector but mine is stupid heavy. Works awesome but impossible for one man to pack even when broken down.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a motorized cart a guy built for hauling his gear. It followed him where ever he walked. Not sure it would be practical in rugged terrain though. Yep an ATV and a trailer is all you need...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive also seen that quite a few states are forbidding motorized equipment (ATV/dirt bikes) on some land. so I built a man powered 2 wheel trailer similar to what John (calgolddredger built and what Hoser posted.Ive been hauling / brining way to much equipment with me when I go (USED TO) dredgeing. Maybe I should give it one more try before I sell the farm!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: Wish ya all the best Russau as one tough :censored: decision. Just had a wahoo from sacramento offer cash for my dredges and equipment----hahahaha I can still dredge without all them weights around my waist so not only no(big BIG pile a cash) but gulp LL no-John

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys ever seen one of these? Ascender Big Game Carriers It looks interesting, but on my narrow, rocky trails, it would be too heavy for me to use (too difficult to lift up and over rock sections on the trial).

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ya those are pretty nice, spendy too. I can't remember the site right now but in the ICMJ there is an add for a towable back hoe 9hp I think. That outfit also has a tracked wheel barrow that is NICE. But they run 3k+, probably worth every penny though, would love one just for around the farm. However for gulch mining they would solve a ton of problems, pun intended. Cormidi USA has one like it but think theirs it real pricey. Search cormidi 50

Last edited:

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is I don't hike in on a double track- I have an 8"-18" wide trail on the side of a very steep and deep canyon. You slide off this trail and it is lights off for you. Nothing with two wheels on the same axle will work for me. Everything I need has to be inline and lightweight.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
finally found one on You Tube, and I already have that rear end from an old lawn tractor will post build soon.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you would be better off with 4wd atv and a trailer Sticks. If you can fit a tractor that wide down your trail then an atv is a great tool for moving everything.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deer carrier is your answer to thin trails but requires 2 men to do,which if memory serves me right today(ODd on turkey yesterday) you have another partner??John

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah John, I never go in that canyon alone. A couple of years ago, I almost died of anaphlactic shock from being stung by a hive of baldfaced hornets. Bee stings don't normally bother me, but being stung by a bunch made it so I almost didn't come out of there alive. I don't do anything alone in that canyon, or its possible I may die a lonely death (and that would REALLY piss off my wife). It's too rugged for me to screw around with. I am a huge fan of the "buddy system". Do you remember on the 49'er mikes forum, the guy who told the story of dredging at the bottom of a canyon with his partner, and while underwater a rock rolled on his buddy's hand and pinned him underwater? And the guy who wrote the story had to hike out of the canyon (while the motor was running to supply air to his trapped buddy underwater) to get a highlift jack out of his truck? I never forgot that story and what a crappy situation that would be in my canyon. Nope, I NEVER go in alone. If your not taken out by circumstance, there are always the ever present mountain lions to deal with too.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deer carrier is your answer to thin trails but requires 2 men to do,which if memory serves me right today(ODd on turkey yesterday) you have another partner??John

Here is the cart one of my mining partners was designing. It think he may have had a patent on it, but he passes away unexpectedly last year, and it was donated my way. It has a few issues I need to resolve, but overall it works pretty well. The rear wheel is the steering wheel which makes it a bit odd to get used to, but it still work. But even something like this isn't ideal for my application as I need something REALLY light where I can lift it over areas of hillside rock where it could not go on its own. The design is close to what I need, but not exactly there. 1128141510.jpg 1128141509a.jpg 1128141509.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions