Would a Honda WB30XT be suitable to power a dredge?

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and girls

Long time reader, first time poster. What a fantastic forum.

Just picked up a pump off my dad, was used for water transfer, was wondering if I could use it with a dredge, if so what size would it suit? its only a 4.8HP. I was hoping to slowly build a decent dredge over the next few months to have a play with. (I did read up before posting, how ever I didnt find what I was after)

Here are the specs.

(Welcome to Honda Power Products Indonesia)

Pump
Type Self priming, suction pump
Suction aperture 80 mm (3 Inch)
Discharge aperture 80 mm (3 Inch)
Total head lift (Max.) 28 m
Suction head lift (Max.) 8 m
Maximum discharge capacity 1100 l/min
Self feed time 150 sec./ 5 m
Dimensions
Length (mm) 510 mm
Width 385 mm
Height 455 mm
Dry Weight 26.0 kg
Engine
Model Name GX160T1
Engine type 4-stroke, overhead valve single cylinder, inclined by 250
Displacement 163 cm3
Bore and Stroke 68.0 x 45.0 mm
Compression ratio
Net Power (SAE J1349)* 3.6kW (4.8 HP)/3600 min-1 rpm
Max. Net Torque (SAE J1349)* 10.3 N.m (1.05 kgf.m, 7.6 lbf.ft)/2500 min-1 rpm
Fuel consumption 1.5 l /h
Fuel tank capacity 3.1 l
Fuel used Unleaded Gasoline (Oktan 86 or higher)
Oil capacity 0.58 l
Air cleaner Semi dry type

Many thanks in advance, really look forward to your responses.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PSI missing---your jet/suction nozzle requires restriction to work correctly so back pressure and psi most important. A pump such as this is not a close tolerance pump(with backpressure water just goes around and around inside the housing causing cavatition) but might work as pretty big,dependent on size of dredge you want to make?? John

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
watch craigs list now is the time to buy used dredging equip. Should be able to get a real good deal on something that is made to do what you want to do. High pressure pump. Look up Gold dredge builders in Idaho. Allen Trees He has these Subaru engines that are quiet and the pumps kick azz. Quite affordable too. Hope your bottom turns yellow

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PSI missing---your jet/suction nozzle requires restriction to work correctly so back pressure and psi most important. A pump such as this is not a close tolerance pump(with backpressure water just goes around and around inside the housing causing cavatition) but might work as pretty big,dependent on size of dredge you want to make?? John

PSI is there if you want to do the math. Total head lift = 28 meters = 92 feet * .5 psi per foot = 46 PSI. This really isn't enough to run a dredge unless you are running a submersible.

MrTim4Gold

Sep 9, 2014
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PSI is there if you want to do the math. Total head lift = 28 meters = 92 feet * .5 psi per foot = 46 PSI. This really isn't enough to run a dredge unless you are running a submersible.

agreed, not the best for dredging, BUT would work great for a hi-banker! Shoveling builds character!

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct that would be a great combo for a high banker. Yes yes it does build character, and one will learn that the best shovels have wood handles better buy two. Don't smash your fingers or be a raw dawg (no gloves) best piece of advice,,, steel toe muck boots are a must have, trust me. ps get a neoprene wader repair kit, they work great on muck boots, try not to dip.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread