Time to begin building my dredge

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep us updated! :)
Looks great

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really "Do Not" want a bent nozzle of that size because at that angle you will get a lot of plug ups right there at the bend. I like either a straight tip or a swivel nozzle is good. For me because my hands are big enough I prefer the straight tip on a 4". The box and flare look great :)

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed. The nozzle i made was by cutting a 22.5 and flipping giving me 45 which i could see some plug ups occuring. Its a replica of a proline i saw. I have plenty of 4" conduit to play with. What if i made the angle alot less? I could probably get it 20-30Ā° Or like you said i could build a simple straight to try as well. This was my first time using abs plastic and im very impressed. Unlike pvs abs solvent welding actually melts together to form a molecular bond. If you cant find abs glue locally like me. You can use MEK or acetone or a mixture of both 80/20 and then add some small abs peices let it sit overnight and walla you got yourself some fine abs glue.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like straight especially if it doesn't swivel but if you want the bend then just keep the throat short so plug ups can't occur. On yours I would just cut some off of the front so that there is no place for it to hang. Maybe cut it between 1" to 2" down from the bend; that will open it up enough to give the cobbles a straight run.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed, appreciate your tips and neat tricks for improvements . Those are good for many of us who are still learning .

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep us updated! :)
Looks great

I never did show the finished dredge. a little late but i thought id post it anyways lol:laughing7:

IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0119.JPG IMG_0265.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
A small suggestion for your nozzle handle would be to make the handle to be separated or insulated from the cold metal by slitting a rubber hose and wrap it on to the metal to keep your hands warmer in those cold water's. OR cut the handle portion off and replace it with some fiberglass rod for the handle. I did that for my dredge that I sold to Bill-Saf and I preferred it in cold water.

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small suggestion for your nozzle handle would be to make the handle to be separated or insulated from the cold metal by slitting a rubber hose and wrap it on to the metal to keep your hands warmer in those cold water's. OR cut the handle portion off and replace it with some fiberglass rod for the handle. I did that for my dredge that I sold to Bill-Saf and I preferred it in cold water.

as a matter of fact, that is on my to do list for sure! not only to insulate from cold but keeps from getting all cut up.:icon_thumright:

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job! I have a https://www.tapplastics.com/ 20min away from me, I've used a couple pieces to make parts of my high banker and a belt guide for my trommel. Love it. They've got the necessary glues/solvents for the different plastics they sell. Kind of nice to have :)

Is that a predator 6.5 engine? I'm assuming you got the pump straight from keene tapped for the keyed shaft?

Are those 10 or 15 gallon containers? 3 on each side? Nice frame work!:icon_thumright: Looks home made as well? Diggin the slide adjustment, is it removable? Looks like you put it on, and then welded the ends on though.

I was going to use a piece of 3/8s abs for a bottom, 1/4 for the sides and an 1/8th for the top, and a 3" pipe(2.5 with oversized)... But it looks like you just used a 4" piece of abs, split it, and then put 3/8ths abs in between? Hows it look to hold up for a season? It almost looks like in image 3, where you have the pipe split, it could crack further down the pipe from the stress. Having used abs and knowing that molecular bond.. its pretty darn strong.. i feel like the pipe might be a bit weaker than the sheet. But looking at image 5, its pretty reinforced and looks pretty solid. I think i'm going to give your method a try, i put mine on the side burner because I wasnt happy with the square sides I was going to end up with. How long is the flared part and the straight pipe? And what are you using for your jet pipe... And wheres the video!! Lots to answer.. but hopefully it helps others out as well :laughing7:

Again.. Nice job!! :headbang:

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job! Iā€™m in the process of building one just like yours, but a 3ā€. I started making my flare tube out of abs pipe, but i didnt have any sheets of abs that were thick enough. Instead i used fiberglass to build it. That worked pretty well. Itā€™s light and strong. I went to a local car wash and got a pile of 5 gallon jugs just like yours. Do 6 jugs give you enough floatation? My sluice is the same size as yours. I used an old snowmobile tunnel. Even used old scraps from the tunnel to make the riffle ladder.

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! I have a https://www.tapplastics.com/ 20min away from me, I've used a couple pieces to make parts of my high banker and a belt guide for my trommel. Love it. They've got the necessary glues/solvents for the different plastics they sell. Kind of nice to have :)

Is that a predator 6.5 engine? I'm assuming you got the pump straight from keene tapped for the keyed shaft?

yep you guessed it! been runnin strong three seasons no issues so far. definately got my moneys worth out of it.

Are those 10 or 15 gallon containers? 3 on each side? Nice frame work!:icon_thumright: Looks home made as well? Diggin the slide adjustment, is it removable? Looks like you put it on, and then welded the ends on though.

ya 10 gal i believe. theres three on each side. i found i guy on craigslist selling them 5$ a piece so i actually have some 15 gallon drums also. the 10s work but its bare minumum really.

The frame is all 1" square tube and the slides are pieces of 1 1/4 i believe. so i just drilked holes and welded some 3/8 nuts over the holes. i did exactly as you stated slid on and then welded the end piece, but could be made removeable if you desired easy enough.

I was going to use a piece of 3/8s abs for a bottom, 1/4 for the sides and an 1/8th for the top, and a 3" pipe(2.5 with oversized)... But it looks like you just used a 4" piece of abs, split it, and then put 3/8ths abs in between? Hows it look to hold up for a season? It almost looks like in image 3, where you have the pipe split, it could crack further down the pipe from the stress. Having used abs and knowing that molecular bond.. its pretty darn strong.. i feel like the pipe might be a bit weaker than the sheet. But looking at image 5, its pretty reinforced and looks pretty solid. I think i'm going to give your method a try, i put mine on the side burner because I wasnt happy with the square sides I was going to end up with. How long is the flared part and the straight pipe? And what are you using for your jet pipe... And wheres the video!! Lots to answer.. but hopefully it helps others out as well :laughing7:

The flair is a 5 ft length split down the middle and for the middle piece i took the other 5 ft of pipe i had, heated with torch and flattened it out and cut the pieces out of it lol It has held up quite well considering the massive abuse of transport in and out of the truck.. thrown on the ground ect... i did get one crack at the weakest point which is where it connects to the sluicebox. nothing a little abs glue couldnt fix though.

the powerjet i made from a piece of 4" electrical metallic tubing from work. the eductor is a small 1" piece of rigid conduit welded to a 2" to 1" bell reducer. the angle of the eductor is 11 degrees. on the pressure inlet i also welded a 2" ridgid coupling so a quick connect fitting can be screwed on. As for the connection of jet to flair is a 4" fernco rubber coupling, also used them to connect suction line to jet and nozzle too.

I made a few brief appearances on other youtube videos of gold rush days at the swank claim here in ohio. been thinking of getting a gopro one of these days!

Again.. Nice job!! :headbang:

Thanks for checking it out and the comments!

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job! Iā€™m in the process of building one just like yours, but a 3ā€. I started making my flare tube out of abs pipe, but i didnt have any sheets of abs that were thick enough. Instead i used fiberglass to build it. That worked pretty well. Itā€™s light and strong. I went to a local car wash and got a pile of 5 gallon jugs just like yours. Do 6 jugs give you enough floatation? My sluice is the same size as yours. I used an old snowmobile tunnel. Even used old scraps from the tunnel to make the riffle ladder.

thanks. the floats are 10 gal barrels from a carwash business owner. i have 3 on each side. my dredge does float but it is bare minimum and have to be carefull not to overload the box. I do have a set of 4 15 gallon barrels too if i need them. honestly though for me all the creeks i dredge are very shallow so i havent felt a dire need to increase the floats yet.

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, i think i see now. Your jugs look like the same size as a couple 5 gallon jugs on top of eachother, is that correct? Or are they a fatter jug? Iā€™m in the same boat as you for now, ive just been dredging streams that are shallow and putting my sluice on adjustable legs, like a high banker with a flare tube. Soon iā€™m going to be getting everything to start hookah diving, so floats are going to be a necessity in some areas

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, i think i see now. Your jugs look like the same size as a couple 5 gallon jugs on top of eachother, is that correct? Or are they a fatter jug? Iā€™m in the same boat as you for now, ive just been dredging streams that are shallow and putting my sluice on adjustable legs, like a high banker with a flare tube. Soon iā€™m going to be getting everything to start hookah diving, so floats are going to be a necessity in some areas

yep there fatter jugs :) 10 gal gorilla taped together lol im sure theres a better way. initially it was a temp solution but it held together fine so... i guess if if aint broke you know..

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
yep there fatter jugs :) 10 gal gorilla taped together lol im sure theres a better way. initially it was a temp solution but it held together fine so... i guess if if aint broke you know..

An old guy once told me "Around my place nothing is as permanent as a temporary fix." I live by that motto. Nice build by the way! Good craftsmanship.

OP
OP
B

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old guy once told me "Around my place nothing is as permanent as a temporary fix." I live by that motto. Nice build by the way! Good craftsmanship.

Thanks Vance. I appreciate that!

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have the right idea. Lol. I dont know of any adhesive that will stick to hdpe plastic. 3M 5200 marine adhesive is about the toughest thing ive found, but it wont bond to that stuff. I think strapping or taping them together is your best bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread