Older Keene Dredge need help please

kevinsc4

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an older model 4 inch keene dredge online but I am not sure about it. Does anyone know if they are as good as new ones? What are the downsides? Are they: heavier or less likely to retain fine gold? It has an 8hp Briggs and stratton engine and a keene 4x3 pump. New 4 inch dredges come with a 5.5 or 6.5 hp engine and p180 pump. Is the old engine/pump overpowered to the point where I will be blowing fine gold out the sluice. The sluice is 5ft long. I have attached pictures of the dredge. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Dredge 1.JPG
    Dredge 1.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Dredge 2.JPG
    Dredge 2.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 533
  • Dredge 3.JPG
    Dredge 3.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

rebelstate

Apr 29, 2014
Greer,sc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own a newer 4 inch Keene with the Honda 6.5 and air, triple sluice. I went with the newer Keene due to weight and the way the water intake is set up, as far as how good the older ones work, they work just fine

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
as stated , itll work fine! how much did you spend on it? have you ran it yet to check it out or just take the guys word for its condition? I haven't seen a 4 inch crashbox setup in awhile!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The engine is definately MUCH newer than all the rest. The frame is skinny and needs extra floatation,like a 15/20 gallon barrel strapped to each side for more floatation and no submarine roll overs. Might be just the pics but looks mighty small pontoon/frame like from a 3" as that box is way forward and hanging off the end bad. Does flapper valve on pump retain water when filled. Pump is very dull yelloe,older?? Remove footvalve and insert finger into the hole where the black plastic hosebib is and feel for the metal/plastic junction is. There should not be a gap as that just sends the water around and around and lousy pressure/suction. Antique header for sure,does it even have a extended flapper to slow down,spreadout and deaireate the water for better recovery. Big punchplate inside/out of the header?? Straight box or over/under?All cost to upgrades are yours -John

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's an oldy... lol. Their not nearly as good as a new ones but you can make it work. Looks like there are a few other dredges in your yard as well. First I would make sure that the pontoons don't leak because those are some nasty lookin old things. I've had many 4" dredges like your's and I always put an over/under into the box and that is what makes the difference. Those riffles look bad, you should flex them a bit and see if they need some welding. I sold my last crash box back in 2008. It made for a nice dredge that I could leave in the river all summer knowing that nobody would steal it. It had the Beer Keg air tank that weighed a ton and looked like hell, but it got the gold and with the big 11hp motor on there, nobody was going to just carry it away. The larger engine and pumps are needed on them because the old boxes sit so high out of the water. I always loved those old motors because they purred like a Lion :laughing7:

DSCF0009s.jpg

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... Back in 99' lol I wrote an article on the GPAA forum that has been copied and used ever since about buying used gold dredges. The last time I modified it was in 2004 and here is the link. Prospectors Cache Forum - Viewing message

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The guy with that dredge name is Roger. I got my proline and some other gear from him he is a class act and honest as day is long. Email him and talk he will answer all questions.

Happy Hunting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
K

kevinsc4

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to all who replied. I don't own the dredge yet but was considering buying it. It is listed on ebay for $2150 and I was doing some research before spending that kind of money. While it may be an ok dredge, I think I will wait for something better to come along. When I factor in $500 for shipping, I think I can find something newer and closer to home if I wait. I am in the market for a used 4 inch dredge if anyone has one for a fair price withing a reasonable driving distance of South Carolina.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Oview ain't them ungangly thangs fun to lug up n' down them canyon walls. You would have had a righteous laugh at me hauling a 18hp briggs IC,with high dome pump & gast still attached up 1,680' almost verticle wall on 1+ miles of switchbacks.That vertical wall in the background was the daily climb,tough after 7=10 hours at 25-35' but the GOLD :hello2: Hahaha and I wonder why my back is shot. But oooooooooooooooo so much fun and gold-John

Attachments

• 02-28-2013 07;10;58PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;10;58PM.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 232

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's an oldy... lol. It made for a nice dredge that I could leave in the river all summer knowing that nobody would steal it. It had the Beer Keg air tank that weighed a ton and looked like hell, but it got the gold and with the big 11hp motor on there, nobody was going to just carry it away. The larger engine and pumps are needed on them because the old boxes sit so high out of the water. I always loved those old motors because they purred like a Lion :laughing7:

And bring those creepy greenies from distances :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need is a low tone or now a SUPER LOW TONE muffler,Briggs & Honda, and they all purr like a kitten and extremely quiet as sure is fantastic in todays' sic arse world-John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HJ. I will pass that on to the new owner. I helped him load it up last week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread