Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya everyone;

I picked up a Thomas 2660CE35-985 C pond bubbler from goodwill today for $8 bux.
I think the capacitor is bad on it because it just hums when plugged in but the motor turns freely by hand and creates pressure/vacuum.

Anyways, this pump is rated for 3.5cfm and a max psi of 30 or 40psi, I found both results.

It runs 115v, 60hz, 4.4amp

In my research I also found that there is another use for this pump, as an oxygen concentrator for medical use.
It is the EXACT same compressor but with a different electric motor, its model is 2660CE35-111 and has a 115v, 60hz 3.8amp motor.
Both use the exact same rebuild parts and Teflon coated SS cylinder sleeves.
The entire top end rebuild kit plus cylinder sleeves is only $22 bux plus shipping, about $35 after.
The bearings are only about $4 each.

I think that my 4.4amp motor may be the reason why I found 40psi max working pressure, it would make sense that a medical unit not pushing long distances underwater would have a lower amperage motor and only need to make 30psi. I don't know 100%, its just what I can figure from seeing both.

In comparison, the 2660 produces twice as much cfm as the T80 compressor and produces pretty much the same as the Thomas/Gast 263 compressor with similar psi working ranges to the 263 and of course this is an oil less compressor as well.

Reliability of the mechanical workings of this compressor calls for a 25,000 hour service life on the top end, bearing life is much much much longer.

I would like to pair this up with a Honda EU1000i or EU2000i as a very quiet, portable and efficient solution to my dedicated hookah needs.

Tell me what you guys think, if anyone out there has any experience with these Thomas compressors and if anyone has done something similar.
After the Gennie the build is going to get me pretty close in price range to just buying a quality electric hookah setup, BUT I am a fan of multi use tools and having a Honda Gennie is a big plus on the Multi tool scale for me. :)

-Eric-

This is a picture from ebay of the CE32 model, looks the same.

thomas 2660CE32.jpg

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may take more power to get it started, like a well pump needs 3500 watts, might try to test it before buying the generator.

from honda website;
Reactive loads contain an electric motor, which requires additional power to start, but significantly less power to run once it gets going. Typically starting power is 3 times the amount of power to run the application. Examples of reactive loads include:
•Refrigerators / freezers
•Furnace fans
•Well pumps
•Air conditioners
•Bench grinders
•Air compressors
•Power tools

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Winner , I think your talking about motors that have 2 capacitors and called start/run capacitors for the purpose you stated. this combo sounds like it would work BUT id install a real fine air/water filter on the output of the compressor to trap anything that comes out of the compressor. I have this for my 4 inch dredge JUST TO MAKE SURE!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya, should work fine, the one I have is a Gast its a big o thing works pluged into the house
but not a small generator of course its a 220v 3 phase wired as a 120v single phase.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your input guys, Winner I didn't even think about that. I guess the EU2000i would be better to us as it can support if this thing requires 3x the power to start.
Russau, it has a single large capacitor, when I got to the pond shop to get another I will ask them about starting load.

I am also going to set this thing up like on my dredge, dual filtration, High pressure tank and snorkel.

Now there isn't anything to automatically shut this pump off when sufficient pressure has been reached in the reserve tank like some of the battery powered hookah's.
Should I just let this thing pump non stop and add a bleed off valve or should I get some sort of pressure interrupt to turn the pump off when there is sufficient pressure?

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, had this been one of the 220v versions I probably would have still bought it, removed the electric motor and put a pulley on the shaft to run off a gas motor. :)
I just couldn't pass up a THOMAS! :D

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Neo what about installing a PSI switch on the outlet of your compressor. BUT they have a range in which they operate and youll have to adjust this range to fit your needs. AND a pop-off valve set to your needs.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, that's what I have to look into.
An adjustable valve would be ideal, I bet Howells dive shop might have one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread