55 Gallon Fluid Bed Highbanker

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see I'm not the only one with fluid bed fever! :icon_thumleft:

Lost track of the things I've converted into a fluid bed.
Once you get hooked you start to see every container as a potential FB, even made one out of an old mailbox :tongue3:

Fluid Beds Rule :headbang:

GG~
____=_=
/ l .,[____],
l--- L- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)-o-)_)

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see I'm not the only one with fluid bed fever! :icon_thumleft:

Lost track of the things I've converted into a fluid bed.
Once you get hooked you start to see every container as a potential FB, even made one out of an old mailbox :tongue3:

Fluid Beds Rule :headbang:

GG~
____=_=
/ l .,[____],
l--- L- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)-o-)_)

I hear you on that one. Went digging through the scrap pile and found what I think is an old plenum off of a gas furnace. Should make a nice fluid bed.

Back to America Unearthed.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Made another modification to Minny tonight. I cut in a new discharge hole on the opposite side of the original one and added some brackets to flip the deflector plate the opposite direction. I also crated a discharge hole cover from the scrap piece of the barrel. While running Minny in the area I've been working, the discharge hole faces upstream. With this new mod, I can switch which side Minny discharges from.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427246669.292357.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427246688.011179.jpg

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Made another modification to Minny tonight. I cut in a new discharge hole on the opposite side of the original one and added some brackets to flip the deflector plate the opposite direction. I also crated a discharge hole cover from the scrap piece of the barrel. While running Minny in the area I've been working, the discharge hole faces upstream. With this new mod, I can switch which side Minny discharges from.

View attachment 1136343
View attachment 1136344

Just to check that I haven't lost my marbles ... those photos are not of the same thing, right?

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello from a fellow DGD QNCrazy! Finally saying hi on the TNet! I'm the younger guy who drives the golden astro van if that rings a bell..

Thanks for the videos! Nice to see it in action instead of just on the floor at the hall :P I wonder how Minny would do if you just set a trommel over her and let it dump into her :P

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I was wondering that myself. I have been making several modifications and a trammel is on the list.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Here are the mods I did last night. I added a water pressure gauge as suggested and made a new, better fitting, deflector plate.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427370605.994892.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427370629.745437.jpg

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couple questions for ya. Have you tried running it with both exhaust ports open? I had cut both sides of mine out thinking it would aid in faster cleanouts of the lighter material, don't know as I'm still not ready to test yet. Hadn't thought of a cover for opposite side - another Good Idea!. What pressures are you looking at on the fluid bed vs spray bars. Are you going to put a gauge on the spray bars as well to aid in consistant fast easy set up each time- set your upper and lower pressures and let it fly. I will be interested to see the differences in pressure amounts on mine vs. yours as I'm going to run a 1 1/2" pump and have one size smaller piping all around since my fluid bed is about 1/2 - 2/3 the size of yours.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
To answer your first question, I can't run with both drains open as the material would run off the deflector plate and out the drain hole. Now my reason for the pressure gauge is primarily for when I'm running the suction nozzle. Saturday I will be running Minny as a highbanker and monitoring the pressure until I achieve optimal performance in the fluid bed and make note of the pressure. Keep in mind my pump runs at the most 50% throttle when running as a Highbanker. Then on Monday, when I am running the suction nozzle with the throttle at 100%, I can use the lower ball valve to adjust the pressure in the fluid bed. I hope that makes sense.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey what an idea on this .....want some vid in action

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Vids are on this thread. Do a search for"Minny". I've posted several. Or search YouTube for "55 gallon fluid bed highbanker" and subscribe. I will be posting more vids next week.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I did find them very interesting for sure

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
QNcarzy
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing especially for sharing as it developed. For me it makes a huge difference to start at the beginning. I will build one this week out of a thirty and a fifteen gallon drums (I have both) and try to test them next Saturday. I am working on a way to recover pyrope garnets and I think being able to adjust the fluid bed might be just the ticket.

All the best,
John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
QNcrazy- Hey man if ya get a chance when yer not suckin up gravel would you post a close up picture of your bottom drain. I have two or three ideas I'm playin with but find myself in "analysis paralysis" thanks much.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
QNcarzy
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing especially for sharing as it developed. For me it makes a huge difference to start at the beginning. I will build one this week out of a thirty and a fifteen gallon drums (I have both) and try to test them next Saturday. I am working on a way to recover pyrope garnets and I think being able to adjust the fluid bed might be just the ticket.

All the best,
John

John, I built one out of a thirty this week and tested it yesterday. I did the plumbing in 3/4". 3/4" was fine for the spray bars but not the fluid bed. I'm still testing. I'm going to make the fluid bed 1" and see how that works. Here are some build pics.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428250134.020191.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428250161.203216.jpg

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
QNcrazy- Hey man if ya get a chance when yer not suckin up gravel would you post a close up picture of your bottom drain. I have two or three ideas I'm playin with but find myself in "analysis paralysis" thanks much.

Fowled, it's real simple, I drilled a 2" hole and use a plastic knockout plug. I think I got a pack of three for $2 at HD. I'll try to post a picture tonight.

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
QNCrazy,

Thanks a million, that is exactly what I was going to try so you saved me a step right off the bat.
I am planning to build mine upside down and use the 2" bung that's already made into what's now the top. I am going to put a 2" ball valve into that with male threads on the side going to the drum. I know this will hold a palm full of unfluidized material and that there will be heavies that will hang up around the lip but I think I can get most of the material to flush out this way. Your thoughts?

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread