55 Gallon Fluid Bed Highbanker

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
So I had this 55 gallon drum sitting in my yard that I was using to haul water out to dig areas that didn't have water this summer. Searching through the forum, I came across Astroboutncers thread of a fluid bed highbanker bucket. After I read through the thread, I took several of the ideas suggested and applied them to make this 55 gallon drum into a highbanker/fluid bed trap.

The build was pretty simple using a jig saw to do the cutting. I cut a 15" wide hole in the top of the drum then cut the hole for the tailings to drop out of. Next I cut a drain hole and inserted a 2" bulkhead fitting and drilled the holes for the plumbing for the spray bars and fluid tubes. The classification screen was 1/2" hardware cloth over an old BBQ grill. I took a sheet of aluminum and cut it to make a deflector plate to direct the washed material to the back of the drum. My original design also had a second 1/4" classification screen. That was removed in the final mock up as it was unnecessarry.

I hooked up the plumbing, all of which is 1", and took it out to the river for a test run to check the water flow. I am running this off my 2" HF clear water pump. I didn't like what I was seeing on the test run. The water wasn't draining fast enough and there was not enough pressure in the spray bars or fluid bed.

I brought it back to the house, removed the bulkhead fitting and expanded the drain hole to a 3" x 3" hole. The fluid bed tubes I originally used were recycled material already drilled out. The holes were too big so I made a new set of tubes. I added two 1" ball valves, one to control the flow to the spray bars and one for the fluid bed. I didn't realize at the time the added benefits it provided.

Last Friday, I helped a friend finish his highbanker and we took both of our projects to the creek for test runs. I only ran about 4 buckets of material through mine but both tests were successful. So successful in fact that I went back out Sunday to make a short video. As you will see in the video, I placed my A52 below the drain to catch anything that might sneek out. After the first run, I took a pan of material from the tailings at the end of the A52. No gold. Then I cleaned out the A52, no gold, not even fly poop. At the end of the day, I did a quick pan to see my results and I noticed I wasn't seeing much flour gold. However, the blue bowl got all that. This drum caught everything down to -100 which is all I was hoping for.

So enough gabbing, here is the video. I hope you like it.

Edit: I realized that this highbanker is a little tall, so I have started to make a shorter version out of another 55 gallon drum. I basically cut the top 1/3 of the drum off. I think this will work just fine. I'll post pictures of that later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Here are the pics of mini-me
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424867991.847335.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424868010.147032.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424868029.664718.jpg

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang, that's some pretty nice results there.
Awesome project, 50gal containers are easy to come by and don't run too much money.

I would like to see the short one running, post a vid up when you get a chance. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Looks like you are having fun!
I like your design & look forward to seeing how it works out for you long term. Please keep us posted!

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
And here is Minny Me!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424914223.302030.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424914246.496766.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424914268.715800.jpg

Gonna take her out Friday afternoon for a two hour trial run. I'll take some video and post next week.

Thanks for the compliments.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! I've been wanting a fluid bed/ gold trap based high banker for a long long time, that is perfect. Light weight, self contained, easily transported, nice! Very generous of you to post your project details. If it's not to much to ask would you mind telling us more details about the fluid bed bars such as angle, spacing, and hole size? Also have you tried it with a small 1" pump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Awesome! I've been wanting a fluid bed/ gold trap based high banker for a long long time, that is perfect. Light weight, self contained, easily transported, nice! Very generous of you to post your project details. If it's not to much to ask would you mind telling us more details about the fluid bed bars such as angle, spacing, and hole size? Also have you tried it with a small 1" pump?

Everything is 1". Four elbows for the corners, 5 T fittings and one four way. The five cross bars are 12" long and there are 8-2" long pieces to connect the fittings along each side. I put the whole thing together then drilled the holes. I believe 1/8". I drilled holes spaced at 1 1/2" about 1/4" off center line. Then I drilled another set the opposite side offsetting them from the other holes. I twisted the tube farthest from the drain hole just enough that the water will spray at the bottom corner of the barrel to keep the material fluid. The material on the side of the fluid tubes locks up a little. Im entertaining the idea of drilling three holes on each side to help with that. I don't think a 1" pump will be enough unless it pump 3000 gph. I run my pump at 25-33% The bottom of the fluid tubes is 1 1/2"-2" from the bottom of the barrel. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mounting that to a backpack frame shouldn't be too hard and you can keep most of your tools and a gallon of gas in the top of it.
It seems like you really don't need the sluice, its just added safety so you could opt not to pack that in too.
If you had to have a sluice I would think a TeeDee EZ sluice would be perfect for the job and it could be used to help reduce the cons further once your done for the day.

2 people could easily pack this thing in without overworking themselves.
One person could do it but would just switch hands a lot when packing in the pump. :)

I really like your design, it seems totally flexible/moddable and fairly compact.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
It seems like you really don't need the sluice, its just added safety so you could opt not to pack that in too.
If you had to have a sluice I would think a TeeDee EZ sluice would be perfect for the job and it could be used to help reduce the cons further once your done for the day.

Neo, you don't need a sluice. Anyway, the amount of water flow would be too much for the EZ sluice. In previous runs, I tried my 10" x 32" RCM drop riffle and the flow was too much for it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a suggestion that will help you to fluidize the settled bed material in the dead areas around the edge of the drum.

Flexible PVC spa hose... It is usually available at hardware stores in various diameters and it utilizes all the same fittings and glue as regular PVC. It can be bent to follow the rounded contour of the drum and get to the dead areas that are problematic with your current setup. You could substitute this on the outer edge and still keep the hard plastic for the central straight runs or redesign the manifold, using all flexible tubing, to conform to the round container.

I use this stuff in my homemade zook (all friction fit joints for my use) but I also added a new twist. I drilled the holes oversize so that I could friction fit short pieces of stiff plastic, 1/8" ID drip irrigation riser material. The short pieces (I call them straws) extend most of the way to the bottom of the chamber and the effect is that water is injected amid the lowest of the settled material* and stirs it as it spreads out and rises rather than depending on pressure to try to slice down through it for the stirring/lifting action as does the conventional design for fluid beds. In your case, I would still probably make a manifold rather than coil one piece since water friction in the pipe/hose may cause uneven flow from the outlets.

The only downside I see for your design/size is maybe an excessive amount of concentrate collection. Maybe a little more time and handling in final cleanup but that is no big deal since in the end you still get the gold. Good job.

Hope this helps.

*This may move the settled gold around but I think there is little chance that it will lift or hinder the settling of newly introduced gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Thanks for the suggestion Arizau. I will definitely look into that.

Bass99, all the plumbing was $50-60. I got the barrel free from a friend. It took me a couple hours to cut the holes. I used a Jig Saw for all the cuts. If you are mechanically inclined, you can make one fairly easy.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your design, but as I look at it more, I wonder if the outflow hole is too low. I realize pics can be tricky and not show things how they really are. You said the spray bars were about 2" off the bottom, so with 1" pipe the bottom of the outflow hole should be just a little above 3" off the bottom. How high is your drain?

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I like your design, but as I look at it more, I wonder if the outflow hole is too low. I realize pics can be tricky and not show things how they really are. You said the spray bars were about 2" off the bottom, so with 1" pipe the bottom of the outflow hole should be just a little above 3" off the bottom. How high is your drain?

About 3" off the bottom. The hole is 3" x 3". I see what you are talking about on the picture. It is deceptive. I need to mow my lawn.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone else noticed that for some reason this particular thread formats so wide that it won't all fit on the screen?

About the water flow. Swastika pattern the PVC a bit to circulate the water. preserves the momentum, and would require less GPM to accomplish the same thing. You could even raise your outlet to enhance separation and increase retention of fines. I'd even go so far as to say there is no need for such a large drum, further enabling a pumping reduction.

Just a guess :D

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Has anyone else noticed that for some reason this particular thread formats so wide that it won't all fit on the screen?

About the water flow. Swastika pattern the PVC a bit to circulate the water. preserves the momentum, and would require less GPM to accomplish the same thing. You could even raise your outlet to enhance separation and increase retention of fines. I'd even go so far as to say there is no need for such a large drum, further enabling a pumping reduction.

Just a guess :D

C, thanks for the suggestion. Sure this can be made in smaller scale. In fact, I am already looking for a 20 or 30 gallon drum. The reason I decided on the 55 was because I already had one and wanted to see if it would work. Plus I can run all day and not clean out. I think a 20 or 30 gallon drum could be run with a 1" pump. As it sits right now, I am retaining -100's and a lot of it. That old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am going to run it this way for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread