can i mount a keene p90 or jobe 95 to the cheap china engines?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply take a piece of paper and copy the mounting holes by punching holes in the paper and compare to p90 pattern. THEN the shaft size and length,keyed or threaded. Many thing to check as MANY 100s a chinese junk knockoffs out there.John

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I know and munufacturers of course are saying machined for Honda's and that's about it........... I'm holding off til I know for sure but will definitely keep in mind now I see where you run briggs and Stratton I prefer the flatheads myself now you think a 3hp horizontal run one of these?

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one I think that might directly work is the Huasheng 142F engine. This is the chinese copy of the Honda GXH50 and are being sold for motorized bicycles and a couple other uses on ebay. I haven't found a US supplier for any other use and the motorized bicycle ones are generally sold without the gas tank or as part of a kit. Most of the other Chinese engines/pumps found on ebay are GX100 copies and do not match and run at 3600rpm vs the 7000rpm for the 142f copy/gxh50. One of the keys to it's performance with the p90 is the high rpm's that these engines run at. If I find a supplier, I'll let you know. I have been looking off and on for the past several months myself to try one out this year.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well ok you answered one ?? was about rpms ok yeah someone on craigs offered in our area a Honda engine and asked sevral times to give me a price and what type of Honda it was but never got back to me on specifics man doesn't that wind me up

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dad always told me " Man made it, man can modify it. assuming motor will meet pump specs, a little bit of plate, angle, and a lovejoy coupling you should be in buisness. I'm ordering one of those 4 stroke 3 hp for my Minny me knockoff. Hadn't thought of converting it to a real pump...things that make ya go hmmmm!

Washington Gold

Oct 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Chinese engines pump out HUGE amts of shavings into the oil - change it often

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the keene pumps are bored to fita 5/8" threaded shaft. My 3 H.P. thrash pump has a 5/8" but the threads are 1/2", the p-160 pump would bolt to the engine but I would have had to make a threaded bushing to screw the impeller on, all of the clearances were good.
However, on my 7 H.P. trash pump all I had to do was bore the impeller out to a 3/4-16 shaft/thread.
I have heard that keene can help out ( not sure on this so you should call them) with the machining if you have the specs.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what I 'm going to do for now I found a good deal on a Honda wb20xt pump roughly 4hp and its 2" 164gpm and 46lbs its a trash pump but I think I can live with that and most of the china pumps of this size are like 60 to 80lbs at least it will be a Honda found this for about $429.00 shipped 3 year warranty

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking for something weight reduced for a 2" high banker dredge combo no jet flair this would be I guess suction only

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can build you a 4 port jet that will rock with the little 52gpm china pump like you used to have. I have a jet and that pump if you want to try it out. Good lightweight solution.

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 2" Duromax trash pump off ebay for $169. It worked great on my 2" highbanker combo. The little 3 H.P. 1-1/2 pump wasn't that great for the 2" suction nozzle

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 2" Duromax trash pump off ebay for $169. It worked great on my 2" highbanker combo. The little 3 H.P. 1-1/2 pump wasn't that great for the 2" suction nozzle
Yea, that 1 1/2 pump is not enough for a 2" off the shelf suction nozzle or log jet which need more volume at pressure than that pump can deliver. Needs a better jet to run a 2" really well.

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found the file with my modified trash pump pics.
The pump came set up for a 3/4" shaft with 5/8" threaded impeller.
The Duramax trash pump engine has a 3/4" shaft and 3/4- 16 threads (no key way).
I had to bore out and rethread the impeller to 3/4-16.
The hex head mounting bolts that came with the Keene pump were the wrong metric threads for the motor, Lowe's had the ones I needed, However the heads were slightly larger than the counter sinks in the pump casing. That was an easy 5 minute fix with my dremel with a drum sander attatched.
These were very easy mods to do, due to everything being aluminum ( no special tools required).
new dredge pump  002.jpg new dredge pump 001.jpg

As a trash pump this ran my 2" hydro nozzle with no problem. I was actually running one Highbanker with the Hydro nozzle and another with no dredge at the same time.

Last edited:

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you certainly can. I know because i just recently did the same. I bought a honda knock off engine for 100.00 and the ordered a p180 from keene with the 3/4 keyed shaft version, which is a new option fron them because previously all that was available was the 5/8 threaded shaft. The pump bolted right up and fit perfectly.

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you certainly can. I know because i just recently did the same. I bought a honda knock off engine for 100.00 and the ordered a p180 from keene with the 3/4 keyed shaft version, which is a new option fron them because previously all that was available was the 5/8 threaded shaft. The pump bolted right up and fit perfectly.
Just wanted to add that the engine i have is the 6.5 hp predator engine. Ive also read that these engines can accept some honda parts as replacements as well since there almost a carbon copy.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking along the line of the P90 bolted to the predator 3 hp. Wonder if its a straight attachment, the predator 3hp only comes in at 22 lbs

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The key thing to remeber when useing NON_USA made engines is that you follow their recommendations on oil changes and procedures to comply with their warrentte . Or they can just say "SORRY CHARLIE ! "

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I bought a 900 series 5 1/2 hp briggs engine with pacer pump for under $300 shipped. Its 200gpm and 52psi and weighs 40 pounds. I run a little over 1/2 throttle and it works great with my 2 1/2" dredge combo. Now the 900 series is a 950 I think which is 6 1/2 hp and cost around $350

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread