fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like a two piece farmer john with step thru top. Lot of versatility as you can wear the bottom alone or the top. I just bought a 7mil two piece online that I ended up giving to my nehpew because it didn't fit, which is one of the pitfalls of online but it was an exceptional deal- for my nephew. I'm kinda glad now as I'm thinking of getting the same suit but in a thinner mil and getting a skin to go underneath for even more versatility.

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in and out of wetsuits and dry suits year round. Go with a two piece farmer john as fowledup said. Way more versitile, most of the summer i only need a wetsuit in afew very cold creeks i work but others i'm able to only where my bottoms and be comfertable. Also easier to fit most people. Look on Sierra Tradeing Post they have killer deals some times. Mm are upto you 5 mm are good allround that way your not to hot in summer but can handle some cold in spring and fall. Deep winter drysuits the only way to go. but very spendy. Funny - i'm eatn lunch and suitn up to hit my spot afew hours right now.
Good Luck
AjR

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on your location, Pioneer Mining has them with the fly and made for miners. You will have to call them for size 530-885-1801

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Franks' suit for almost 7 years and warm as toast. Never had to hook up the ol' wetsuit heater yet,even when the SF American dam dumps I'm still warm. NEVER buy a suit without a pee zipper. Closed cell neoperme requires about 5 more lbs a lead but a small price to pay for warmth. Best suit I've ever owned-4 extras left in the closet unused for years-John

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Here my two. Get a $160 2 piece 7 mill. Unless your just dredging a few days a season, you are going to shred any wetsuit made of neoprene. Laying and kneeling rips em up bad.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here my two. Get a $160 2 piece 7 mill. Unless your just dredging a few days a season, you are going to shred any wetsuit made of neoprene. Laying and kneeling rips em up bad.

First thing I do with the new suit, is cut oval patches out of an old suit for thighs, and knees. Repeat as necessary and that new suit will last a loooong time. I like to use Fix All adhesive to attach the patches much more resilient than straight silicone or shoe goo, perimeter glue the patch for ease of replacement.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet suit protection is simple enough like Fowledup said. Then I buy a set of soccer shin or leg pads at Sports Authority and it protects the entire suit below the knees where most of the tough wear would occur. You will get years out of a wetsuit when you take care of it with simple pads in the right places.
nike-mercurial-lite-shinguard-purple-sleeve1.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suits are fabric covered with knee and elbow pads. I seal every stitched seam prior to use with wetsuit glue so they don't ever come undone by wear. Knee pads in shale otherwise just check weekly and glue any scuff marks,tears or snags. Stay warm-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread