winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an alternative to the Thomas air compressor and can be had on e-bay for $100
it has a spring for a valve instead of a reed like the Thomas
you can buy sheet neoprene and cut to fit if the diaphragm needs replaced.
pic_speedy.JPG
speedy.jpg

(SilverPirate)

Greenie
Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Winner , Can you elaborate on this subject a bit more?

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the same compressor sitting in my basement.

Might want to be careful breathing on an unfiltered compressor, unless you like breathing particulates.

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you dont have the money to buy a thomas or gast air compressor for your gold dredge or diving, sniping,
you could put one of these on a harbor freight 2 1/2 hp gas engine make a small frame to float on an inner tube.

one or two of these come on ebay each week, If you dont have the red cap(filter) you can make a bowl
out of some wire screen the same size then turn it up side down and push it in with some felt that can
be bought at the fabric store underneath. theres another one I cant remember the name, had big round fin's
one other that can be used was made made by Wards.
wards.JPG

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The W. R. Brown/Speedy compressors are great compressors for a hookah system, many say they are better than a T-80, but for what it's worth any "oil less" air compressor will work for a diving compressor/hookah system, that is if the compressor has the proper CFM and pressure ratings required for a hookah system, FYI most oil less compressors are made for painting, medical and any other applications where any oil getting into the air supply would be disastrous or detrimental to outcome of the process the compressor is used for, so look for these types of compressors if looking to build your own hookah system, the T-80 specs would be a minimum for use as a diving compressor and only down to around 20 feet and usually only one diver, any deeper or more than one diver and you'll need more CFM, so you can at a minimum compare the ratings (CFM/pressure) of the T-80 to see if the compressor will suffice for a hookah system.

If you use the Gast PCA-10 specs for comparison it will handle deeper diving and 2 divers.

Last edited:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These do work well however you have to match the pulley diameter to the specified RPM, the Seedy Air Comps don't handle high RPM's very well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive used a Brown compressor for atleast 10 years on my 4 inch dredge and I had one setup for a standalone with a 3.5 HP briggs eng. both worked great and supplied all the air I needed. and YES I do have micro filers on the air inlet and anther on the reserve air tanks outlet and Keene air hose for MY protection! finding parts for these or places to buy parts are becoming harder to find BUt mine has gone the distance so far without problems!!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something that is really light weight and can be washed right at the creek, pre-filters.

Any 4x4 shop will have pre-filters that are usually aimed at conical air filters.

Those would be great for going over a HEPA filter mod like that, to help increase the life of the filter.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
my hooka pipeing is very similar to yours except my filter is aimed down to prevent the morning dew and dust from setteling on my filter and prematurely plugging it.

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would it work alright with the original 5" pulley?
I have the documentation, it says 1200rpm
comes with a 1/4hp motor @ 1700 rpm 3 1/2" and a 5" pulley on 1/2" shafts
my motor has to use a 3" pulley to fit behind the water pump.

looks like I need a 7" pulley from what this calculator shows with the motor running @ 3000rpm
http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions