Highbanker Dredge Attachment / conversion

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Suggestion #1 keep your hoses as short as possible !a longer line will use uo the much needed HP your pump has. #2 keep your hoses as straight as possible ! a curled hose uses more pressure to move the rocks.#3 keep your HBer as low as you can to utilize the pumps ability to move water with as much pressure as it can do.the higher the HB is the less pressure youll get! each suggestion I gave gives your marginal pump all the help it can use . #4 have as much fun as you possibly can while out with your son! he will remember it forever!

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one thing to add to Russ's great advise. Swap out the lay flat hose for a pressure hose and keep the hose length short. Lay flat robs energy (psi) from the pump feed and you will notice much better suction with that pump . It needs every bit of psi making it to the jet to run the nozzle well.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed your video! I think you have enough pump for the job. A larger pump often means more weight and that can mean less access to remote prospecting areas. Your pump is lifting the weight of the water, gravel, and gold up to your HB. The rate you feed material into the suction nozzle affects the overall performance. Be sure to use gravity to your advantage whenever possible. Your operation would be improved if the HB were located down stream and close to the river. I also noticed that you have the hose rise higher than necessary just before it enters the hopper. That "hump" robs you of some lift. Would it be possible to plumb the HB so the the greatest lift happens just at the point where the suction hose enters the hopper? Keep going, your on the right track! H Digs

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I got bored at 1:12... But I bared through some of it as much as possible. The fact is you still can't use a suction device in the state of California anyway, so putting it out here doesn't make sense to me. But aside from that, having it not pump directly into the box just slows production and causes gold loss along with the fact that there will be times when you are running alone. It's a small hose and the classifying is done at the suction tip so it doesn't need more classification in the box. I realize what Twinkletoes says makes sense but you can't discharge the water back into the stream so putting it closer to the stream when you need a settling pond away from the stream here in this state kinda doesn't work legally unfortunately, yes we all wish it was the 80's again with few rules but we have been regulated to death in this century... Bottom line is the pump is great for highbanking but crap for dredging. Can you make it work? Not legally here anyway unless you get a bigger pump and move farther away from the water...

OP
OP
AlienAmerican

AlienAmerican

Mar 31, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tip with the roll flat also, I realized I do have a high pressure hose. It is just a lot shorter, but that will be used on the next go around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread