diving saftey

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i have some questions for the experienced divers on the forum. i went to a dive/ gold shop today and was talking with the man there about the dangers of compressed air. i am unfamiliar with this so i would absolutely want to take classes before using any of this equipment. my question is how did you learn how to safely use an underwater breathing aparatous, what are the greatest dangers, and is it for me? i am very sharp, love adventure, i need to be aware of the risks before i pursue an activity. thankyou for your input

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get certified to scuba dive. To many things can go that can kill you. A little piece of gold isn't worth it. It's not about learning how to use it, it's about knowing what and how to deal if something goes wrong.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to sure about the safe part but my dad was a PADI dive instructor when I was a kid and he would let us kids breath with the tank and regulator in the pool (with his supervision of course), coolest thing in the world for a kid. Later on in life I took the course myself. I would recomend getting your Scuba cert. or ask if you can monitor the classroom portion of it if you don't think you will ever use the cert. Lots of good info that anyone playing underwater should know. Don't know about Anderson, but Chico and Paradise both have some excellent instructors if you don't mind the drive. If Jim is still doing them, I would take his course without hesitation.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your in Anderson. I have the cd,manuals and all for certifcation. Not neeed unless going scuba to fill tanks.Between the 2 you'll easily lean all you need to know. I'm PAD certified for many years as I like to scuba dive-pm me-John

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks everyone, he guy told me if you hold your breath and raise it can kill you, even if only five feet down. number one killer is panic. yes i will most definatley get certified if i want to dive with air. thanks john ill pm you.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
beekbuster, great advice from everyone here. Been PADI certified in different categories of diving since 1985. If you are going to dive with compressed air and/or mixed gasses definitely GET YOUR DIVE CERTIFICATION!!! What you don't know will kill you!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beek - your main question was - "dangers of compressed air". What are you referring to?

Dangers of high pressure? Breathing compressed air?

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i was refering to what are the apparent dangers of diving with scuba/hookah. experiences others have had that could educate me. class work only gets you so far, experience is where true wisdom lies.

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
I am not a diver but stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd respond. Diving is serious business for sure. We have an old taconite pit (Iron ore) that has since filled with water and is now approximately 320 feet deep and is called Lake Wazee. I believe it is the deepest lake in the state of Wisconsin and is popular with the diving community. Two people have died out there in the last two weeks in diving accidents and there has been a hand full of other accidents in years past. It looks like fun but not for me. Be safe!

Thanks,
Sidevalve45

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Well if he dredging there is very little about. All things you should really worry about start at 30' and deeper.

All you have to is go down slowly and breath in and all while you at it.

Thats all to it and i havent taken no certification. Just some online investigation and straight to swimming all day with the fishes.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you say is pretty much true but..... And please don't take offense, if you haven't gotten certified how do know that's all there is to it, lol? Nothing wrong with furthering ones edumacation and knowing all you can, especially in an environment our bodies don't function to well in without assistance.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i was told by an experienced diver. if you hold your breath at 30 ft and rise to the surface, the expanding air will burst your lung capalaries and you will bleed to death. it only makes sense.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
there is much more to it than that. i takes a little time to go 30 ft to the surface, even if you shoot up. im not looking to go more than 15 ft until i get more comfortable, but i know its not the same as free diving. compressed air is a different ball of wax.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER shoot up even from 15',just slowly rise and exhale slowly as you rise as panic creates havoc and stupid mistakes. Certification runs over $600+ here in Redding as A friend just got PADI certified for underwater photog glass. Decompression is mantory at different depths in accordance to many factors such as altitude, how many dives prior, plane flights before and after your trips etc etc.. Not a joking matter...John-

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... just stumbled upon this thread...

Heh.

Some interesting posts here concerning safety underwater...

Beings I hold 5 P.A.D.I. certs and a Master Recovery Diver...

And have spent an over extremely massive amount of hours in and around water...

I will say this...

You can drown in a bathtub...
Only takes one breath.

My saying is this...
"You can successfully dive 1000s of times... But it only takes one of those dives to stop you from ever diving again."

Knowing the basics of diving can mean the difference between life and death... in seconds.

As far as "the bends" / decomp goes...
Start understanding it by reading this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure to carry a dive knife (Any waterproof Stainless knife) on you and spare air.
You never know when you cant get your belt off or are jammed up without air or escape and need a couple more minutes of air to get free.

Anything imaginable can happen.

Howells Dive shop in Redding offers classes.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never ascend faster than your bubbles and make a humming exhale to prevent your lungs from exploding. Also never dive high elevation lakes over 10,000 ft one tank only. Observe your dive tables. Stay less than 30 feet and you're likey safe from compression sickness (bends) also stay above 100 feet to avoid nitrogen narcoses (drunken state ).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread