My New Mid-Sized Highbanker Build

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I have a large, 12" x 96" highbanker that I built. I also, have a GoldHog mini with extension that I love. I had to scratch the itch and built a mid-sized 10" x 60" lightweight highbanker. This baby runs excellent! Here's a couple videos...let me know if you see anything that could improve the build. Thanks.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice work on the highbankers IdahoJake. Have checked to see how far down gold gets in the Gold Hog Matting.

I see a Bazooka sluice in the shop. Do you still use it?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice work on the highbankers IdahoJake. Have checked to see how far down gold gets in the Gold Hog Matting.

I see a Bazooka sluice in the shop. Do you still use it?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

Yeah, I have two of them. I'll use either one depending upon the water flow in a creek. I have a 30" Sniper and a 36" Prospector...they work fantastic!

John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent build!! Could you do a video of it being ran by the 3700gph? Why did you opt for a 2" open dump over spray bars? Haven't seen many folks talk about that. I recently built one and I've burnt up a ton of pipe trying different size and shape spray bar combos. So far I like saw kerf slits the best. I tried the open dump with my 3700 rule and I didn't feel as though it was putting out enough water, hence wanting to see yours run to make sure it's not my pump. I would rather have an open dump for pipe clogging/cleaning purposes

Last edited:
OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent build!! Could you do a video of it being ran by the 3700gph? Why did you opt for a 2" open dump over spray bars? Haven't seen many folks talk about that. I recently built one and I've burnt up a ton of pipe trying different size and shape spray bar combos. So far I like saw kerf slits the best. I tried the open dump with my 3700 rule and I didn't feel as though it was putting out enough water, hence wanting to see yours run to make sure it's not my pump. I would rather have an open dump for pipe clogging/cleaning purposes

Thanks Fowledup. I like this type of box and grizzly design over the hopper/sprayer bar design (which I've used previously), because I feel I get better water flow and material break up. I like it because the water churns up in the box--suspending and more thoroughly washing--the material prior to entering the sluice box. The tailings exit the header box a lot more efficiently than with my old hopper design also. And, I no longer have to clean clogged sprayer openings. But the two main reasons that I went with this design is because after a lot of trial and testing I found that I get better waterflow and material cleaning with this type of header box and water delivery system. Thanks, John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the open end pipe...or as much of an opening as you can get....lots of 3/8 inch holes...organics blow right through...and very little added restriction to the flow.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool, It sounds like I'll be burning up some more pipe, lol. Gonna try the open pipe with about half of the upper portion of the hopper blanked off

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
nice build and well thought out design! very good videos and explaination ! How did you determine the combonation you use on the Gold Hog matting ? It looks like it works real good! I have yet to try mine out , BUT the day is comeing!!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm really in love with the design of this highbanker! You've addressed all the little things that drive ya nuts. The only little thing I will probably do different is - I will use a 1/2" X 3/4 or 1" chunk of bar stock with holes bored at the correct spacing to hold the grizzly bars. I would also like to make it totally self contained for transport. Maybe removable wheels and handle- think dolly. Have the pump sit on top of the hopper when folded up and a cover for the hopper to hold the hoses and such in. I've been wanting to do a Goldhog mat based something myself and I think this is the perfect canidate. I too have the same question as Russau, how do you come up with the mat configuration?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive watched Docs videos and I talked with his people at their shop and I understand the idea of switching up the mats to trap the gold , BUT the right combo for my mats in my dredge for my stream conditions leaves me wondering ! its hard for this ole dog to learn !hahahaha I guess I just need to get that dredge out and give it a shot and see what works best! Ill go with Docs recommendations first!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russ I set my matt up based on the average gold in the area as you know to do......But I also alternated based on what the slurry was doing....lower matting closer to the header to prevent turbulence until the finer stuff settles out....then more aggressive matting for the traps....that way the laminar flow has picked up as well since hog matt works best with moderate and fast flow.....they exchange very well.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GW - that makes sense, could you list it out the names of what you have in order so we can look? Thanks

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice build and well thought out design! very good videos and explaination ! How did you determine the combonation you use on the Gold Hog matting ? It looks like it works real good! I have yet to try mine out , BUT the day is comeing!!

Thanks russau. I didn't use a lot of "science" on setting up the matting. I did want the UR under the punch plate/miner's moss in the entry area so that it created a fluid bed. Then I wanted something aggressive right after the UR to break up any clays, etc., that could be caught later in the matting sequence. I know that I've used, and really like, the UR , Scrubber, and Razorback matting...so, I wasn't concerned about their ability to catch the finest gold. I hadn't used the new Talon matting before. So, in order to feel comfortable that I wasn't having any losses, I placed these between the tried and true mats (mainly Razorback...they are my favorite in the GoldHog line because they work in a variety of water flows). That was my logic...and I love the results I'm seeing. Thanks

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread