pipe to sluice sizing

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
When gravity dredging the suction and GPM varies. But the normal size of 3" dredge sluice is 12" wide..

OP
OP
L

Labman

Greenie
Sep 18, 2015
LaSalle County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.

How about a 6 inch wide box 4 to 6 feet long? Can I get by with a 1 1/2 inch dredge pipe?

Nodnor the Wise

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2013
east Point, Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look at Keene dredges, they use a 12" wide box for their 2" - 2 1/2" dredges, a 14" wide box for their 3" dredges, and a 16" wide box for 4" dredges

and I would recommend an 8" wide box for a 1 1/2" as this is the smallest I have seen from manufacturers for a 1 1/2", some use 10" wide boxes.

These guys have spent a lot of money on R & D so I tend to go with what they use.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Paul

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi labman

Depends on how much drop/force you get from your river.If you are in steep creek that offers plenty of available drop you can go with the standard sizes.Most of the time its easiyer to take away drop than adding drop to your setup.
Otherwise adjustability of your set up is important.I work in a pretty flat running river most of the time,so i built my boxes narrower .It increaseses chances for having the box clearing itself from the rocks.
In my case i built assuming the worst conditions. That increases the number of spots i can work.
In the beginning of this vid you can see a 4 inch hose discharging in a only 10 inches wide sluice box.

You may have some losses in the flypoop departement mostly,but you can work how its supposed to.Immagine having to stand up every minute,walk down to your sluice to clear the rocks,no fun.
Also i would recomend to let go the one and a half inch pipe,its just too small .Showel would be quicker.Plug ups constantly and no yardage.Go with four inch from the beginning.
From my experiences,the next 4 inch i would make will start 10 inch wide again.Then i would build a attachable section that is 5 inch wider,in case i have plenty of drop.And so on..
If you go with the 1.5 inch hose,i,d go with 4inch wide box(assuming) Then build ,maybe 2inch wider sections to attach,6inch-8inch in case you are in a spot with plenty of drop.

emilio

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a 10'+ drop,30' of 4" fed by a 10'- 3" or 2 1/2" suction hose with a swivel nozzle. No plugups ever and use a standard wide mouth 4' keene box and I'm good to go in 10 minutes flat from truck to running-This subject has come up numerous times and dozens of pics posted, hit search function here and you will be amazed...John

OP
OP
L

Labman

Greenie
Sep 18, 2015
LaSalle County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1 1/2 is definitely very slow. I also had to shake the pipe often to keep the flow going strong.

Last night, I stacked my 1/2 and 1/8 inch classifiers where the pipe empties into the sluice and found that I needed to run down and clear them off very often. I didn't care for that as a solution for not enough flow for a 12 inch sluice. An upgrade is on the horizon.

I will be up sizing to a 3 inch inch pipe for my creek with little water and steep drops and a 4 inch pipe for the bigger creek I am prospecting. I will also build a 10 inch sluice to ensure I have options depending on flow.

Just for sheets and giggles, I will video the 1 1/2 inch setup and upload to youtube. If anything, it will help the next greenhorn who asks the same question.

I really enjoy this hobby and find that it is taking the place of my other hobbies like fly fishing, hunting, and sleeping. hehe

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread