Motorized winch ...

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hey guys.. I have seen a couple of motorized winches and im trying to build a mechanical winch that uses a large sprockets and a gear box to multiply the pulling ratio .

I get the basic facts of how it works to make it pull but i just havent seen how does these winches reverse in the rope or wire in the drum.

So maybe someone here who haves one made could show me how could it be made .

I have seen a couple of them online but i cant notice how the reverse is built into the winch.

This a good example of what im looking to build . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445554247.416478.jpg

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you need to power reverse or just free spool out?
A heavy duty 3000lb boat winch with a brake and a chain saw motor would be a good combo with the right gears to really pull a load. Should be easy to mate up with a couple sprockets and a chain or belt.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't a reverse, just a brake on the gear drive winches - usually along with a friction driven belt from the motor that drives it. You pull the cable out by hand after disengaging the belt and the gears. So you have a handle for the belt and a second handle that separates the drive gears. Basically what I had was just like the one you have pictured. Here's a video of it, but I think you've seen it already.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Mike..I want to just free the spool out.

Russau.. Im planning on using a 3hp gas engine.

Reed..i thought about making a handle to tighten o loosing the belt power. But i didnt thought about having to loosing also the chain.

Thought it maybe had another mechanism that could maybe reverse or loosing it faster.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use some kind of a centrical clutch to spin the chain , maybe for a go cart or something similar .

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free spool out, power in and use the brake on the power in to slow the speed down as needed.

"Listen" to Reed

Winching isn't anything to take lightly - death is likely if you don't know what you are doing - may still happen even you do know what you are doing. Have someone show you the ropes before getting a winch. It sounds like you should buy a winch rather than build one. If running a winch is a dangerous thing then running a home built one is a hundred fold.

Have you asked the question do you NEED a winch or just want one. Most folks don't need one <---- Yuba guys this doesn't apply to you

If you do get one get the synthetic cable rather than the steel one, there is no reason these days to do other wise. Am Steel and the like is what you looking for.

If you really NEED one, have someone show you how to operate it and go to buy one you are looking for something like this

ratled
DSC01031_zps3b851903.JPG

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free spool out, power in and use the brake on the power in to slow the speed down as needed.

"Listen" to Reed

Winching isn't anything to take lightly - death is likely if you don't know what you are doing - may still happen even you do know what you are doing. Have someone show you the ropes before getting a winch. It sounds like you should buy a winch rather than build one. If running a winch is a dangerous thing then running a home built one is a hundred fold.

Have you asked the question do you NEED a winch or just want one. Most folks don't need one <---- Yuba guys this doesn't apply to you

If you do get one get the synthetic cable rather than the steel one, there is no reason these days to do other wise. Am Steel and the like is what you looking for.

If you really NEED one, have someone show you how to operate it and go to buy one you are looking for something like this

ratled
View attachment 1260972

I totally agree with the brake statement , I thought he was looking for a way to tranfer power , and still be able to use the chain drive .

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013

"Listen" to Reed

ratled
View attachment 1260972

Hi Ratled & Reed .. Thanks for ya advices..im right now in a river that have been heavly mined and im trying to get into the more difficult part of the river to find more virgen ground. i have already started building the winch i have been trying to build a more stronger winch then the ones shown i believe so since i never seen one in person. i have in plan on using a plasma syntheic rope which is a bit stronger then the am steel. i also have in plan using a 3/4" rope with a smaller diameter sling for if anything breaks be the sling wire..

i have built the a disengage funcion and plan on loosing the belt from pully to slow the pull..But i didnt have in plan on building a brake because i couldnt capture it built in the pictures i have been able to download..

im also planning on building it with a larger engine like a 6.5HP engine with a 2:1 REDUCTION CLUTCH ..

i will post more pictures but for now these are what i have .. 20200427_093800.jpg 6.5hp-2-1-clutch_1.jpg

Here are some Pictures of my build of my Trevs dredge / subbie which i use in deeper water..
20191115_111902.jpg EFFECTS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hello Everyone.. Dont let no one tell you you cant do it. i have build My Dredges and now My own Mechanical Winch. it could break in 3 pieces and be taking anywhere.

20200516_144937.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you need something to be able to disengage the motor. Usually they have a bit larger belt on the first set coming off the motor, with an idler pulley mounted on a bar that you can throw down on the first belt to engage, then throw up to disengage the motor from the winch. Maybe I'm just not seeing it :)

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then here's the arm thrown up with the extension rod slipped off and the motor shut down. This way you can pull out the cable a bit without completely disengaging the shaft.
20200517_103426.jpg

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Hi Reed, I did get to build a clutch system and also a way to desengage to the drum from the motor. The reason you didnt get to see it is because the belt i got it too small and there wasnt any play in between it. i also didnt install the Pulley Bar because i needed a 5/8" screw to set it in place. On Monday i would buy some washers to install the Drum Chain and try to complete it.

im interested in buying some synthetic rope online but with all the Plandemia i cant not buy anything online to get it shipped to my country.

here locally i could get wire rope or some polyester rope..
but even that is hard because most everything is closed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread