Pacer Pump sucking air?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Ive been working on my highbanker dredge setup a little bit. Just trying to get it up and running by recirculating into a large water tank/horse trough. My first test I couldn't get any suction on the hf250 , but it was getting dark by the time I got the pump running right and I had to give up.
I hooked it back up today and fired it up but still had no suction. But in the daylight I could see allot of air running through the pressure side line. So I pulled off the pickup line and put a bunch of pipe tape on it and hooked it back up. Fired the pump off, it primed up quickly and low and behold I had suction enough to vacuum a little hole in the driveway with the hydroforce before the pressure line blew off the pump.
So I properly attached the pressure line and tightened the hose clamp and fired the pump back off, but now I have bubbles in the pressure side again. Which as I have learned bubbles in the pressure line equals no suction. See, I'm learning.

Now what I wanna ask you all to save myself a bit more trial and error learning. Are there seals or anything in a homelite pacer pump that can go bad and allow it to suck air? Or can the centrifugal pump cavitate? Or do I just need better fittings and more teflon tape? My intake pipe is off a 1980's home well drilling kit with plastic fittings, so I figure that's gonna need upgraded before a regular field test. I assume the cheap plastic and old stiff suction pipe fittings just don't seal well. But I don't have enough experience with pumps to know if there are other problems to look for.

Anyone feel like enlightening me?

I know I'm asking allot of noob questions, but well, I'm a noob when it comes to automated suction equipment. After all, that's what a forum is for right? So we don't all have to spend years of trial and error to get to the objective. Right?

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have several Pacer's. Learned early on that plastic fittings don't work really well with them.
Had the same, air leak on the suction line problems as you until I change to metal threaded pipe nipples.
The stiff suction line could also be a problem, trying putting 2 hose clamps on it. That worked for me once, in a pinch.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have clear suction line then follow the bubbles. If no bubbles, then it might be where it hooks to the pump intake. It doesn't take much air to cavitate the pump and lose all pressure. Oh and get rid of all plastic fittings, they can crack or split and not be seen. Go with all metal fittings as suggested above.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Also check your intake line to feed the pump (foot valve if you use one) if your not deep enough youll suck air down and into your suction line! and make sure all of your connections are tight!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a air bleed off screw on top of the pump also. Teflon tape every joint. If that doesn't work tighten up all the bolts surrounding the pump housing as all it takes is a loose one to ruin your day. Cracked hose bib on the footvalve is yet another fun thing to track down, from your description might be close. Plastic or metal hose bib for footvalve??One thing for sure you will remember how to fix once found :icon_thumleft: John

Beav

Mar 22, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
VLF
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I concur with EVERYTHING Hoser John has stated. Some of what he said has bit me many times out in the field and ruined my precious mining days!
My Pacer has been working A-OK now for years since correcting those issues.
Beav

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change out the suction hose to the clear flow. It's cheap and you can get it at any plumbing store. Then when you don't see air bubbles coming up it, you can eliminate the hose and foot valve as part of the problem. Most of the time where it seals to the pump is where you want steel to steel and you can just use antiseize or pipe dope on the threads there so that you don't have to put tape on every time.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use camlok connections on all my hoses and have never had any leaks and no need to seal threads every time.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
also check the shaft seal, I had a 3" in 3" out pacer that the seal started leaking and it got to a point I couldn't get it to catch prime anymore because it sucked so much air in

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread