hookah expansion tank ideas?

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, was wondering if anyone had any ideas on expansion tank for hookah system. My brother is a tig welder so i was looking into an aluminum tank. But it looks like the piping would be a pretty penny. Also heard some people had used pvc to build one? Also a keg but that seems excessive since its just me with a speedy brown pump. How much volume of air is the tank suppose to hold? Thought about the harbor freight 5 gallon air tank and just tap in for exit to regulator

Last edited:

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will want to stay away from a steel reserve tank. Air under pressure creates heat and moister that will corrode the steel over time. you don't want to take a chance of breathing in any of that. Some people use old alum scuba tanks and old coke machine cylinders for reserve tanks. The plastic ones that Keene sells are light weight and not that expensive. When it comes to you air supply don't go cheap. Good luck!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
buy these - Used 5 Gallon Metal Soda Canister Cornelius Cannister | eBay

with a nice large reserve, you can stay down for a few more minutes after the pump runs out of gas and move rocks.
I welded up one of these kegs for my dredge but never got around to using it. I sold my dredge to Bill_Saf and I need to get him that tank and somemore items for him that I forgot. If you do decide to use one of these kegs , try to get the original connector to use. youll be happy you did !

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use either the standard SS one from Proline or the high pressure plastic ones from Armadillo Mining...... and a 6 gallon boat fuel tank instead of the of the standard fuel tank. I never run out of air and rarely have an "Air Aware" event.

ratled

P1000763.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yesterday I mailed Bill_Saf the corny keg w/quick disconnects , spare lid and gasket for this tank,a small scale , the Honda engine manual for his dredge , and a spare pump seal kit for the compressor! I called him once I got it into the mail and said Merry Christmass to you and we talked for awhile. NOTHING like a FREE gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish id thought of it while I was out with him BUT the storms and heavy lightning were comeing in fast!

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
strebs,
on my 2013 4" dredge, I made a volume tank out of 6" pvc abt 18" long with 2 endcaps which were threaded for connectors at both ends. one side has a keene yellow hose that threads onto my t80 outlet and the other had a quick coupler for my air line. I use a full face mask and used it to 10ft. you can see it on far side (white end caps and grey body)

IMG_0191.JPG

on this years dredge, I used one of those harbor freight air tank ones, it got me thru a month of dredging in North Carolina down to 12ft so it served its purpose but will be replacing it with something better. i drained it every night. I remember seeing an aluminum one somewhere but cant remember. prob pick one of those up when I find it so I don't have to worry about it rusting inside. you can see it on the close side

2015 nc big dredge.jpg

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
went looking last night, found harbor freight has aluminum 7 gal ones for 69.99 just like the steel one I got, so im gonna switch it over

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know if you got a hold of Reed he knows the ins and outs of converting a corny keg.
used to be a video that showed taking out the liquid tube and drilling and taping the posts.

you can get connectors not sure if these are the right ones, but you can look at others like them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VLD7QU/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
this one looks like it has the 1/4" threaded end.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CM7VYP1/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35R6R48D18THW
and these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2V751C/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&smid=A35R6R48D18THW&th=1

this guy cut off 5/8" hose and reduced it down to a piece of regulator hose.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-BaCYCjt6_8

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow,
an old thread dredged up from the past (pun intended LOL) and yes i did switch to the aluminum tank for 2016 . i am thinking of using a pair of the korny tanks when i build my new 6" Washington state dredge since we were working at 25 to 35ft depth this last year and the dredge we used in 2018 had a pair and they worked good ( 1 for each diver)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread