NPT threads

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are the threads on a male PVC fitting the same as the threads on a short shank female coupling like those you'd have on layflat hose? (see image)
I want to mate the 1½" short shank to a 1½" PVC fitting but I'm not sure if the threads are compatible.
Thx for the help

Bob
male adapter- short shank.jpg

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should be I've used simular fitting with no problem , generally always NPT .

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The brass fitting on the lay-flat is a NST straight thread, the NPT pipe fitting is tapered.
They are both the same pitch (threads per inch) and same diameter.

They do work together but the joint will not be full strength because of the tapered pipe thread.

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to add.
The plastic pipe fittings suck, they will eventually crack between the threads.
Metal fittings are worth their price.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cam-locks are a lot easier if you are transporting your equipment every day, any plumbing or rubber shop has either type you are looking for. You can get them in hose thread or pipe thread and there is a difference in the thread pitch. The pvc is npt and when looking at them, you can't see the difference until... you try to match the hose thread to the pipe thread, so be sure that you get the same thread for both or just go cam-lock's forever like I did decades ago :) - 2" Aluminum Part C Female Coupler x Hose Shank - AL-C200

OP
OP
Underburden

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At the link Reed posted, looks like Part A and Part C would work provided Part A's threads mate to the PVC fitting's thread.
???
Bob

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the link Reed posted, looks like Part A and Part C would work provided Part A's threads mate to the PVC fitting's thread.
???
Bob

Yes part a matches up but why the pvc? If you can - stay away from pvc

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the plastic cam locks better

Bob you can screw the NST brass hose fitting onto the PVC no problem as the seal is the rubber washer between them. I personally threw those connectors away because I was ALWAYS loosing that stupid rubber washer!

Ok so ABS does not get brittle like PVC and the ABS plastic cam lock quick connects are super strong. I think the plastic cam locks are actually better then the cast aluminum ones. The interior diameter of the aluminum cam locks is seriously restricted and has a rough texture, not consistent from one cast to the next. BUT the plastic ones have a much larger I.D. and are nice and smooth on the inside. The plastic ABS is not going to break either. When I was building my 2", 2.5" and 3" dredges the I.D. of the couplers really came into play. Feeding a Highbanker it is probably mute.

getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&w=518&h=320&path=1316975.jpg getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&path=134585.jpg

getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&path=134750.jpg getDynamicImage.aspx?b=00ffffff&path=134540.jpg

So here are some links for you:

• $12.99 camlock female receiver with female 1.5" NPT threads - NORWESCO INC Norwesco - Quick Coupler X NPTF 1-1 2 inch (NORWESCO INC 134595), Irrigation
• $4.29 camlock male with male hose barb - VALLEY INDUSTRIES Valley - Cam Lock 1-1 2 inch E (VALLEY INDUSTRIES 1316975), Equipment

Or go the other way (clunky end on hose)
• $12.99 camlock female receiver with male hose barb - NORWESCO INC Norwesco - Quick Coupler X NPTM 1-1 2 inch (NORWESCO INC 134540), Irrigation
• $4.99 camlock male with female 1.5" NPT threads - NORWESCO INC Norwesco - Adapter X NPTF 1-1 2 inch (NORWESCO INC 134750), Irrigation

My 2 bits...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions