Gravity dredge specs?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the seach function and didnt find anything useful. I'm sure allot of people forget to ad tags to they're posts and the don't seam to be able to be added in the edit feature. So, anyway....

I have found some stuff on syphon operated designs, but that's not what I'm after.

My idea is to make a run of 1-1/4" poly pipe up hill from from a bench to the stream on the edge of my claim. I'm wondering how to calculate head pressure and gpm flow from elevation drop and pipe diameter. I know there was a real good table for that on Mike Higbee's sight but Ive been unable to locate one here.

Anyone have a link to a table or care to lay out the formulas?

I'm thinking on how can I run a dry land dredge on a high bench without using a pump?

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You maybe to look up some formula on a plumbing site under head pressure etc , I'm not quit shure how they will work . It would depend on stream or river flow , gallon per minute etc . I'm shure you would have to catch a large amount of water and funnel it down to size , the closer you get the main feed reduction to your dredge the better . I would also consider a holding tank then pipe it to your dredge .

Last edited:

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ragnor: spelling is "siphon" not "syphon", might help in the search...winners also posted his link for another name for it: gravity dredge.

I'd like to know if anyone has any info on legality of one in Cali, have listened to discussions both pro and con, mostly running nay, though.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems like if you could get the water to where you wanted to work you could use the weight of the water and siphon to a sluice box.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a few years ago, saw a guy on the South Yuba using a creek with a drop as his gravity, and a T from that hose to/from the crash box on his sluice.
tod me it was working, but draw was slow. not sure, but think it was 3", and I'm fairly sure he had no nozzle, which would have helped.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
legal in california. There's no motor

Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Well if I understand it correctly I get ~308 gpm at ~100psi on a 250 foot drop. I recon that would power a suction nozzle just fine.

Holy smokes man! 250' of head!! Yeah that'll do it haha! You could use that flow to do some hydraulicking! Too bad its illegal.
Seriously though ive gdredged bank pockets, and it seems to me that 1' of drop for every 6-10 feet works out just fine.
250' is crazy!

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if I understand it correctly I get ~308 gpm at ~100psi on a 250 foot drop. I recon that would power a suction nozzle just fine.

Sorry Ragnor but wrong calculator for what your looking for. First thing you need to know is the flow requirement (size dredge nozzle). You have plenty of head pressure but the volume speed of flow is limited based on the pipe size or you will loose pressure to friction losses.

1 1/4" line 500ft long could supply around 20gpm without much loss but that's not enough volume to run a nozzle.
3" line 500ft long could supply 200gpm with a little loss (15psi) and could run a 3" nozzle good.

This calculator is fairly good and you can try different sizes etc.. unfortunately it doesn't have 1 1/4" pipe size, but basically that idea is out anyway.
Liquid Friction Pressure Loss

The piping design calculators in the TVL site look good also. Try "pressure loss through piping"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I wondered about that. I seam to recall Vortex Rex lamenting friction losses in his designs back on the old 49erMike forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread