OwenTs Shot at a BGT Highbanker

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running an engine breaks it in....how does it know if your shoveling gravel or not:)

Make sure when your done for the day to drain the pump.I prefer to end the last run when the fuel runs out......if your storing it run it until it dies. Don't leave gas in the tank for too long. Depending on your digs that thing will pay for itself quickly

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow the manufacturers break in procedure. Most do not recommend full throttle for at least two tank fulls.
Most recommend varying the throttle positions during break in. Constant running at the same speed is bad during break in.
Some recommend changing the oil after the first 3 hours or so depending on the size of the engine.

As Russau stated in his post "always follow the manufactures instructions when breaking in a new engine"!
Could also void warranty if not followed.

GG~

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet! Nice holding pond and boat lift!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies in advance for my ramblings, I've been pondering....

Initially I was thinking of ways to mount the water inlet on the lower part of the bucket to force the most water into the fluid bed scoop while the rest would flow up and around eventually down the sluice. But you could possibly also run PVC down to the bottom and then have an adjustment to let water out for over the slucie.

Any way, mind was wandering to the fit around the sluice. Wedged shaped so wider at one end over the other means if you cut the exactly needed size, the sluice has to go in through the bucket. Possible work around there is a shorter bucket that would allow you to angle the sluice in.

But then I had also seen the first video below and started thinking about shoveling dirt straight into the bucket and how any material not heading out the sluice would or could end up in the fluid bed intake and plugging them holes isn't an option.

So then I started thinking about a funnel, something to direct the dirt directly onto the top of the sluice and out towards the opening in the bucket. Well, naturally another bucket with a notch to direct the material onto the sluice.

Well now, this is where the brain took a left turn and anyone familiar with C-clips or brake hose retainers may see where it went.

402593169_o.jpg

If you were to cut the base out of a second bucket and cut a slice the width of the sluice where it enters the first bucket, as you slide the second bucket into the first, the second bucket will keep the sluice from sliding out.

Then, cut and bend the other 3 sides so they direct the material onto the sluice. The water can be pumped into the outer bucket towards the fluid bed intake, and as it fill the void between buckets, flow up and out slots cut towards the top of the second bucket creating the flow over the top of the sluice.

Some others using similar buckets

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you were to cut the base out of a second bucket and cut a slice the width of the sluice where it enters the first bucket, as you slide the second bucket into the first, the second bucket will keep the sluice from sliding out.

Then, cut and bend the other 3 sides so they direct the material onto the sluice. The water can be pumped into the outer bucket towards the fluid bed intake, and as it fill the void between buckets, flow up and out slots cut towards the top of the second bucket creating the flow over the top of the sluice.

You are a genius. I was thinking about some sort of stretchy material to make something that seals around the sluice and is glued to the bucket but your idea is much more secure and sounds easier to seal. Or maybe I could just make some sort of hole in the back that I can open then slide the sluice in place and seal the back up again.

I was trying to figure a way to be able to shovel into the bucket so gravels have a better chance to break up but the issue it that the hole letting water out need to be probably less that an inch high so I'd have to classify everything before running it through which would defeat the purpose of this project.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plan B works like a dream :). A little more volume over the top, seal it up good, and I'll be golden I think. The volume will probably be accomplished by making my cut under the sluice a little deeper so it's not running out over the back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made my trap sit lower in the bucket and now it works just great. I ran some gravel through (barren) and everything seems to be working just fine. The real test will be tomorrow. Duct tape will have to do for seals but later I'll make everything nicer and put up a more detailed video. :)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made my trap sit lower in the bucket and now it works just great. I ran some gravel through (barren) and everything seems to be working just fine. The real test will be tomorrow. Duct tape will have to do for seals but later I'll make everything nicer and put up a more detailed video. :)
use gorrila tape. Once regular duct tape starts to get et it starts to fail.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gorilla tape worked nicely. Man that's a lot of gear to haul, took me like an hour to get it all about a quarter mile down the river. Thankfully I found a better route back but there was still a formidable bank that required me to carry everything up piece by piece.
Lesson learned #1: Always scout your route, there's probably an easier way. #2: Careful on train tracks and always look both ways, don't get too comfortable, 'nuff said. #3. Don't grab the hot metal cup in the toaster oven that has your gold in it without a hot pad or waiting to let it cool down because you want to weigh it already! It came out to almost 1/2 gram but I definitely lost some when I dropped that cup! :BangHead:
Anyhow, the highbanker works quite well and I was catching -100s. I want to try it at another spot soon as I can!

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#3 don't use the toaster oven for anything else and identify it so others don't use it aswell NEVER / EVER !!

Oh you know you're right, I probably shouldn't do that. I don't think there was anything on my gold that would cause a problem though and I just put it for a second to dry it off.

TheForSaken

Apr 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OwenT, just looked over your YouTube vids and your latest video test #3 seems unbelievably simple and freaking perfect
Expecting my 48" prospector shortly and in no way does the North Saskatchewan River have adequate water flow. Buying a 150 GPM pump and setting up a header box just like in your video.
Thank you for sharing my friend.

https://youtu.be/yqiRZLrQwds

Edit: just read page 2, never realized you had already shared your latest video oops.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought part of the technique was using gravity and the weight of the resiovoure to fluidized the trap? Time to throw some gold into it and see what recovery is like?

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OwenT, just looked over your YouTube vids and your latest video test #3 seems unbelievably simple and freaking perfect
Expecting my 48" prospector shortly and in no way does the North Saskatchewan River have adequate water flow. Buying a 150 GPM pump and setting up a header box just like in your video.
Thank you for sharing my friend.

https://youtu.be/yqiRZLrQwds

Edit: just read page 2, never realized you had already shared your latest video oops.

Glad I could help, and I hope it works out with the prospector, come back and post.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought part of the technique was using gravity and the weight of the resiovoure to fluidized the trap? Time to throw some gold into it and see what recovery is like?

That was part of the idea but that creates too much pressure coming out over the top. I think that the new configuration mimics the creek quite closely but I have yet to do an actual controlled test.

TheForSaken

Apr 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was part of the idea but that creates too much pressure coming out over the top. I think that the new configuration mimics the creek quite closely but I have yet to do an actual controlled test.
Just got confirmation that my prospector cleared customs, should arrive on the 18th.
Was thinking I could glue some of this insulation foam along the bazooka's sides and bottom to make for a decent seal.
Did you by chance shovel in a few shovels full of your taillings at the end of your day to see if your gold trap was losing any?
Screenshot_2016-05-16-06-08-11.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had the same thought for the seals, just haven't gotten any yet. I did pan my tailings a couple times and if I remember right I found one flake and a few tiny specs but I think it might'be been from a very large shovelful that didn't really get washed, I need to to more controlled testing.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh damn, nice. :D

TheForSaken

Apr 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my pump, Honda ept3-50ha now need to get hoses and clamps and gonna give this a try.
I'm actually a little mystified that your latest video isn't generating more interest? This seems to be the easiest method of highbanking a bazooka that I've stumbled on. No manifolds to piss around with, no ball valve nor stand. Totally KISS.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions