My Custom Mini Highbanker

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow feeling super pumped! Now I have to seal it (though I gave it a quick test and theres hardly leaks in it) and build the grizzly! I need to buy a bilge pump and a deep cycle battery. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463700319.833766.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463700343.885130.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463700379.391765.jpg The sluice is 28" while the adapter that I built would probably add 8 more inches. I'd say 36-40" overall and the hopper including the hole for the grizzly where the water starts to fall is 20". 2000, 3000gph? Give me your thoughts people!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking a 3000gph pump with a valve(not a ball valve) at the outlet for finer control should work great. Nice work!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a Seaflo 2000gph pump online. I was thinking of buying 2. They work at 9-10 amp. So 2 pumps work at 20amps not bad. With a good 85ah or 100ah agm battery I think it would give me more than 4 hours of processing? Which I think is more than enough!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 pumps or 1 pump that is the question! One big pump or 2 smaller ones. I could get a Rule 3700gph pump that draws 15amps or the 2 smaller 2000gph that draws 18-20amps.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With 2 pumps you can run one wide open and valve the 2nd one. If one burns out you might be able to finish the day set to a steeper angle and it's probably cheaper to buy a 2000gph pump than to replace than one big one. However it's also another piece of equipment to pack in, set up and pack out.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'll be using a single 3700gph bilge pump. That's more than adequate water flow for my 40" x 8" sluice. I'll be using it as a highbanker/ and dredge. So one question. How much should I seperate the bars on the grizzly? I was thinking 1/2" seperation but I think 1/4" would work better since my sluice is somewhat small.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I'll be using a single 3700gph bilge pump. That's more than adequate water flow for my 40" x 8" sluice. I'll be using it as a highbanker/ and dredge. So one question. How much should I seperate the bars on the grizzly? I was thinking 1/2" seperation but I think 1/4" would work better since my sluice is somewhat small.

You may find the answer to your question here or at least give you some insight as to the most effective configurations for sluice design. http://emrlibrary.gov.yk.ca/ygs/mining_technology/placerrecovery.pdf
There is another detailed study, which I can't find, that was prepared by the U. of Alaska along the same lines.

Good luck.

PS: I don't think a half inch opening is too large as long as the capture media is effective in the first place. Proper slope and flow are probably the main keys. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi people! Hope everything is going well for all of you. I want to use bilge pumps for my mini highbanker/dredge combo. I was planning to use a battery for the pumps but had a different idea on how to power them. I was thinking of using a portable generator of probably 800-1200w out put. The thing is that the pumps are 12v and the generator has both power outlets (ac/Dc). I noticed that on the DC side it has like a different plug to be honest I have never seen. Check the picture so that you have a better look and somebody help and enlight me on how to use this generator on 2 1500-2000gph bilge pumps! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484662918.642295.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Make a extension cord with 2 outlets ! Its better to use the K.I.S.S. method and keep it to 1 pump IMHO! P.S. those generators have been known to burnout the generator if and when you run them out of fuel while under load. if you do get one of these check the fuel often. and your small sluice will be way to small for using it as a sluice for dredging!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a extension cord with 2 outlets ! Its better to use the K.I.S.S. method and keep it to 1 pump IMHO! P.S. those generators have been known to burnout the generator if and when you run them out of fuel while under load. if you do get one of these check the fuel often. and your small sluice will be way to small for using it as a sluice for dredging!

Jmmm I see your point. Then again I saw the mini high banker/dredge combo that Gold hog sells and its got almost the same specs as mine. Saw it in action in one of them videos. In fact, one guy was dredging while another guy was feeding it with a shovel, both of them feeding the mini highbanker at the same time. Check the video! He's using 2" lines, while I'm planning on using 1.5" lines.

https://youtu.be/h6z41gCJb8I

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's a small highbanker I think it's better to use 1.5" lines. 2" lines might be too much to process. Though on the video they used 2".

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are thinking about buying a small generator to run your pumps why not just buy a small gas powered water pump?

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are thinking about buying a small generator to run your pumps why not just buy a small gas powered water pump?

Yes and I think thats the way to go. Less hassle and just a pump, some extra fuel and the equipment.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Jmmm I see your point. Then again I saw the mini high banker/dredge combo that Gold hog sells and its got almost the same specs as mine. Saw it in action in one of them videos. In fact, one guy was dredging while another guy was feeding it with a shovel, both of them feeding the mini highbanker at the same time. Check the video! He's using 2" lines, while I'm planning on using 1.5" lines.

https://youtu.be/h6z41gCJb8I
I must have missed the point where you say you have a high pressure pump to run your nozzle. the bilge pumps wont do it for that nozzle.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end, I think I'll stick to a small gas trash or semi trash pump. 1.5" I think since I have a small setup. The reason is because I wanted a quiet operating setup, or as quiet as possible. I don't want any unnecessary attention.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may want to grab a 2".. You can run it at a lower RPM and still have more flow where as the 1.5" you might need to crank the rpm up to dredge :x I use a 2" trash pump from harbor freight, I have it going to a 2" hose that connects to a PVC suction nozzle i built that works very well. The jet on the inside is i believe a 3/4" pipe, so it goes from a 2"-3/4" in a very short distance, upping the pressure at the jet a little. This goes back into a 2" hose that feeds into my hopper. The inlet on the pvc is a curved 90 with a 1.5" opening so anything that goes through doesn't(hopefully) get hung up in the hose.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-2...ng-Sweep-Sanitary-Tee-C5812LHD22112/100347915

This is the T that I used.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i use one of the 2" harbor freight water pumps to run a 3" backpack dredge so it will have plenty of power

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread