Can't find the air leak.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there, get the pulley a little bit off and the vibration explodes the aluminum pulley.
I've been using link-belt for several years, they get loose or too wet & slip a little
but the trade off is worth it for me, makes it easy work on, tighten it up just take out a link.
Vibration Free Link Belt
new_DSC05540.JPG

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there, get the pulley a little bit off and the vibration explodes the aluminum pulley.
I've been using link-belt for several years, they get loose or too wet & slip a little
but the trade off is worth it for me, makes it easy work on, tighten it up just take out a link.
Vibration Free Link Belt
View attachment 1345895

Haha, yeah while I was having my issues at the river, I remembered somebody posting about that belt . I'm going to order one to keep as a backup for the next time I have belt/pulley problems!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
it appears that a compressor tear down is in order. Leonard Leeper (Goldoptimist) has a video on utube on a teardown rebuild od a T-80 if itll help you.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's my next course of action if I can't find any obvious problems with the tank or hose. I never liked how this system was setup. The T coming out of the tank has a male on one side and a female on the other side. I'm sure there is some reason for that, but it's a pain in the butt at times. If I have to change all this out, it's getting all females on the outflow side.

The reason for the two types I believe is so you can disconnect your air line and not have pressure build up if there isn't a need for air. I have the same set up, if you disconnect the hose from the female fitting you will still be able to have air for one diver, if you disconnect the male fitting you won't have air for diving but it also takes the load off the compressor for dredging without a regulator.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason for the two types I believe is so you can disconnect your air line and not have pressure build up if there isn't a need for air. I have the same set up, if you disconnect the hose from the female fitting you will still be able to have air for one diver, if you disconnect the male fitting you won't have air for diving but it also takes the load off the compressor for dredging without a regulator.

Yeah, you could accomplish the same thing with a different configuration. Male coming off the compressor lets you disconnect all and not build pressure. Only want one diver, put a single hose onto a female T outlet from the reserve. 2 divers, just put the second hose on the other female outlet of the T.

The only advantage I see in the current setup is that nothing can get inside the compressor to build a nest, as was mentioned earlier.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 kinds of adjustable belts I've found to ease compressor removal/belt replacement. I always carry in my parts bin when mining. The one from Kragen is a flashy screaming orange but over 100 hours on it and enough left over from original to make yet another as made for a vehicle. Works great on any dredge- Lots of luck and be safe-John

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you could accomplish the same thing with a different configuration. Male coming off the compressor lets you disconnect all and not build pressure. Only want one diver, put a single hose onto a female T outlet from the reserve. 2 divers, just put the second hose on the other female outlet of the T.

The only advantage I see in the current setup is that nothing can get inside the compressor to build a nest, as was mentioned earlier.

Having a male end coming from the compressor gives way for dust and bugs to crawl in. I just use the female to complete a closed system when not being used and if I plan on not using the air I simply slide the belt off and it sits just fine off of the pulleys. This way there's no added wear and tear on the compressor when not using it because they wear the most when in use. Then I have the cross to use when needed with 3 brass females and the brass 1 male on a short 18" hose that plugs into the tank outlet when more then 1 person is diving. I don't use any steel fittings, so I get no rust. All of my regulators and hoses have males on the end so they can be easily cleaned or switched out if one stops working. My regulators go straight in to the 20' hoses with no quick connects for safety. This way all of the quick connects are either on the cross and then one on the pump. Having the cross on a hose allows it to sit in the water, well away from the pump and this keeps it away from the vibrations made from the motors and even the tank. I had a fitting break one day back in the 80's from having it to close to the tank, so the added extra small hoses here and there ensure the stress relief needed to keep me supplied with air. Then I carry a double male for friends so if they have one set up different, they can still easily plug in. This way it's a closed system at all times and people can plug in and go right to work or unplug without having to shut down and change things around for different people °°°

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread