Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cant find the air leak.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Can't find the air leak.

Got a weird little problem with my dredge air system. Early this year I couldnt get enough air to breath while doing some test runs. I assumed it was a bent reed or something else physical, so I did a complete re-build of my compressor. I fire it up yesterday to make sure it was making good air, and still ALMOST nothing. I pull the hose and there is just a tiny bit of air pressure that bled off. But as soon as the hose was off (quick connect) the pop-off OPV starts popping, so it's making pressure. I can plug the air line from a single regulator directly into the compressor and the OPV cycles normally and I can breath just fine from it. Hook the reservoir back up and no pressure.

I put soapy water on all the connections and the reservoir tank and I only find a tiny bleed-by leak at a connection but it's nothing that would be causing problems. Anybody ran into this before? Is there some place I'm not thinking of checking? I can run it directly off the compressor if I have to, but thats not ideal, and not wanted.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6646 times
    Your friendly mud wasp has made your unit it's home for spawn. Them bloody things love compressors/related pieces/parts for some reason. OR you just answered your own question as in the line or reserve tank?? MUST absolutely agree with NOT running without a reserve tank EVER .Sage advice in your post. John
    Jason in Enid and kcm like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1276 times
    Prospecting
    Jason check hose connections the female gets plugged and rusted the connector may be brass but the check balls are still steel I had my hot water lines plug at connections
    Jason in Enid likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

http://www.mylandmatters.org/

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    Your friendly mud wasp has made your unit it's home for spawn. Them bloody things love compressors/related pieces/parts for some reason. OR you just answered your own question as in the line or reserve tank?? MUST absolutely agree with NOT running without a reserve tank EVER .Sage advice in your post. John
    It's always stored inside, but it is still making air, just cant get the entire system to pressurize.

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by okbasspro View Post
    Jason check hose connections the female gets plugged and rusted the connector may be brass but the check balls are still steel I had my hot water lines plug at connections
    I'll give those another look. Probably wont know for certain until I get it to the river where I can submerge everything. I don't think its a plug, because there is pressure when everything is off, but no pressure when everything is hooked together. A plug should still be causing the OPV to activate but no air at the regulator.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3751 times
    change out the quick connects, check for obstructions, I still need to fix mine I screw the yellow hose from the reserve tank directly on each time.
    Jason in Enid likes this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    change out the quick connects, check for obstructions, I still need to fix mine I screw the yellow hose from the reserve tank directly on each time.
    Yeah, that's my next course of action if I can't find any obvious problems with the tank or hose. I never liked how this system was setup. The T coming out of the tank has a male on one side and a female on the other side. I'm sure there is some reason for that, but it's a pain in the butt at times. If I have to change all this out, it's getting all females on the outflow side.
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; Jul 31, 2016 at 09:14 AM.
    jere64ca likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    A thought just came to me after writing that last post. What if my unused regulator has the leak? The main reg that I plugged directly into the compressor worked fine, but because the other line has opposite fittings I can't try that, and I can't run the tank without that one being connected.

I can fix that if it's the problem, but I got to get it into some water to check.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3751 times
    generally they put the male end coming off the compressor so if there is no hose attached like for long arming to keep the compressor cool.
    I do it the other way I put a short pipe off the compressor then the female quick connect then just plug in a loose male nipple for when I'm not using the air.
    it's basically just just plumbing, sounds like you're using someone else plumbing job, that makes it tough to troubleshoot,
    it doesn't need to be overly complex "KISS", eliminate what it isn't to narrow it down, best to fix things at home rather than 100 miles from nowhere.
    Last edited by winners58; Jul 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Jason in Enid and Oddjob like this.

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    generally they put the male end coming off the compressor, if there is no hose attached like for long arming to keep the compressor cool.
    I do it the other way I put a short pipe off the compressor then the female quick connect then just a loose male nipple for when I'm not using the air.
    it's basically just just plumbing, sounds like you're using someone else plumbing job, that makes it tough to troubleshoot,
    it doesn't need to be overly complex "KISS", eliminate what it isn't to narrow it down, best to fix things at home rather than 100 miles from nowhere.
    Yeah, I bought this dredge used, so I have no idea if its a factory setup or someones own brain-child. Mine has a female coming off the compressor. Short pigtail to the reserve, with the previously mentioned T coming off that.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1365 times
    Kinda sounds like a blockage in a line.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3751 times
    might put just a single female coming off the tank then add a nipple to the Tee just to have it for when you wanted to use the second line.
    could be a bunch of small leaks at each connection, kiddie pool or a 5gal. bucket of water, might be time for some new Teflon tape.
    probably the regulator they do go bad...
    Last edited by winners58; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Jason in Enid and russau like this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6646 times
    my moneys still on them critters, nasty mud slingn' mean stinging no nonsense pain in the arse-John

Jere Clements

Jul 2016
    San Luis Obispo, CA.
    GB Pro
    189 times
    Did you say that the outlet from the tank has a tee with one male connector and one female connector? Under any other circumstances I would always blame the female,,,,,,, but this might be the rare exception,,, the male connector has no shut off/check valve in it,,, the air is just pissing out of it.

us
    Oct 2009
    7449 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jere64ca View Post
    Did you say that the outlet from the tank has a tee with one male connector and one female connector? Under any other circumstances I would always blame the female,,,,,,, but this might be the rare exception,,, the male connector has no shut off/check valve in it,,, the air is just pissing out of it.
    no, I have a reg attached to both the male fitting and the female fitting
    jere64ca likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links