Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ezrider2. I'm up in NJ but because there isn't any gold in my state, I either head north (to NH) or south to VA to go dredging. I've only ever run my dredge at Contrary Creek (near Mineral, VA). You can find a bunch of info about Contrary on TreasureNet.
I'd love to find some other locations in VA, especially in northern VA since it's a little closer to where I live. I'll watch this thread to see if anyone else has some suggestions. Sorry I can't offer more ideas.

- Brian.

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure to post what you find if you can I go up to Virginia sometimes and would like to know if there was anywhere to pan

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrmanpig1,

Here's a picture of some gold found via panning and sluicing at Contrary Creek (CC) near Mineral, VA. This was from about 2 years ago, before I started dredging. Anyone that's been to CC will recognize the red stuff embedded in the gold:
ySXTOqN.jpg

And here's some gold from CC from this year, found with my dredge:
LhQSLXb.jpg

And finally, the gold (and other heavies) I found most recently with ezrider2 at another location in NoVA that he'd prefer I not specify:
nhNNrk9.jpg

There's some pretty good gold in Virginia! If you'd like to know more about Contrary Creek send me a PM.

- Brian

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won't tell anyone but the gold in the last picture must be from Zipper Creek.:laughing7:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Anyone want to go out dredging in Northern Virginia. I have a dredge, looking for someone to go out with.
Or any suggestions were to go.

I posted the same question here in Misery and I didn't get any takers....I even posted I'd teach people to dredge and still no takers. Maybe this is why I go out of state to dredge.

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mrmanpig1,

Here's a picture of some gold found via panning and sluicing at Contrary Creek (CC) near Mineral, VA. This was from about 2 years ago, before I started dredging. Anyone that's been to CC will recognize the red stuff embedded in the gold:
View attachment 1390643

And here's some gold from CC from this year, found with my dredge:
View attachment 1390644

And finally, the gold (and other heavies) I found most recently with ezrider2 at another location in NoVA that he'd prefer I not specify:
View attachment 1390646

There's some pretty good gold in Virginia! If you'd like to know more about Contrary Creek send me a PM.

- Brian

Thanks for posting those I would like to go and pan there sometime that red stud in there is really cool do you know what it is?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The red stuff in the first picture? That's the color of the mud/muck at Contrary Creek. But it's much worse than normal mud/muck. It stains everything it touches - including the little nooks and crannies in the gold! (It doesn't really "stain" the gold of course, but the stuff gets embedded in those nooks and crannies and doesn't come out easily).

Here's a picture of Contrary Creek from downstream of the bridge; you may not be able to tell that every rock is red...but they are.
01CgSlx.jpg

- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions