Help me set up my new to me used dredge

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the replacement insert adapter is 2" I think on the p100 the input & output was 1 1/4" I went up to 1 1/2 with a short adapter with female inside, male thread outside
if the pump is too restricted it will bog down the motor if the the inlet doesn't have volume it would cause cavatation and not be very efficient.
I think I had mine set up with 1 1/2 in and 1 1/2 out it seemed to work alright been so long I cant remember that was back in 2006.
I do remember having problems with the impeller on the old motor it didn't have a bushing
they must have used thread lock or something to hold it at the right distance on the shaft
I had to get the bushing/spacer; bushing for 3 to 5 hp motors. when I put the pump on the new motor.
some of those pumps may have had two back-plates for with or without a pulley if you want to run air?
does it take the paper gasket or O-ring is it the one with the plastic or metal impeller?
Sam at Armadillo knows all that stuff Armadillo Mining Shop
1newDSC01217_zps7zvhjamp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Thanks for all the help guys. Here are a few more pics that may answer some of your questions.
John, it feels like there may be enough clearance to remove one of the spacer washers behind the pump adapter. If I don't up-size the intake I will close that gap a little.

20161127_161754.jpg 20161127_161911.jpg 20161127_161956.jpg 20161127_162210.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that's the stock impeller for that housing, it looks like a newer design. The old ones had thinner outfeed for more pressure. Looks like a P100 impeller, just make the intake the same exact size as the impeller itself, you know :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back/ forth between pms and posts for all info. Wow I have only seen a few updated with a metal impeller. Call Armadillo/Keene/ Pioneer in Auburn as the paper gaskets tough/impossible to find. You can make your own but very time consuming to cut out. TREAT THAT GASKET LIKE GOLD as looks to be in fine shape. Impeller looks pretty darn straight too. Pic doesn't show pump pickup veins very good, but file away and breaks,snags or huge dimples as they slow pickup. Putting on a 1" adaptor instead of that 3/4" will increase your pumps output/psi 25% as restrictioned. What size is your powerjet or suction nozzle intake is next step. Bigger footvalve adaptor piece would be great also to add more output too. Measure with a micrometer whenever possible-even harbor freight accurate enough-sizes in all directions to match the intake on the impeller. Could be done in 15 minutes if I was hands on sorry for cumbersome net talks but don't imagine your dredging in the winter up there or???Anyhow lots of luck-John PS. If you have a good sized traffic cone you can make it a flair and EVEN paint it purple-ya gotta love that in your face factor-I'm a dredger and proud of it :headbang: ain't hiding from no one no how

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks again for the input guys.
Reed, makes sense on intake size :-)

John, suction nozzle is 2.5". I have heard of making flares with cones but never seen it done.
Anyone have a thread on it or some good pics?

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thank you sir! Some good ideas if I decide to go that way. Seems I remember John having a flared crashbox on something.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABS or fiberglass are also good options to build your own flair sent some photo's to Bill_saf
he was building his own kinda wondering how it turned out.
to me it looks like, cut a piece of plastic pipe then put in a long triangle.

That pic is of a green Promac flare :evil6:

But here's a good post on building a flare with input from lots of people like Bonaro and his Flaming Stars & Stripes 5" Triple. Lookie what I found Dan :)

Prospectors Cache Forum - Viewing topic #71059 - Need advise on setting up old triple sluice

Bonaro.jpg

8250.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Thanks Reed. That's Purty!!! By the way Reed, ID of the impeller is 1.65" (ish) Id of current intake is 1,25. I think an upgrade is in order!

My thinking at the moment... Stick with the crash box at least till I see how it works.
Do some small stuff over the winter:
Reseal it
New larger pump intake
Larger hose adapter on output & full pump outlet dia hose all the way to suction nozzle
Flap on crash box.
New matting
Tune engine/oil change/airfilter

That should get me rolling well enough to she how she does

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed. That's Purty!!! By the way Reed, ID of the impeller is 1.65" (ish) Id of current intake is 1,25. I think an upgrade is in order!

My thinking at the moment... Stick with the crash box at least till I see how it works.
Do some small stuff over the winter:
Reseal it
New larger pump intake
Larger hose adapter on output & full pump outlet dia hose all the way to suction nozzle
Flap on crash box.
New matting
Tune engine/oil change/airfilter

That should get me rolling well enough to she how she does

Just put a heavy damper on it and it will spread the flow out and work fine. Be sure to but the intake right up to the inlet so there's little to no room for water to get pushed around inside, it cuts the efficiency. I've got a bunch of ¼" belting that I make dampers out of. You want it thick and heavy to spread and hold down the material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread