Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ, there are a lot of tapers used in industry. You might want to do a search on that engine to find out what taper it came with. I imagine the model#, or serial#, would differentiate the type of shaft, including the taper spec. If you buy a pump with a different taper, it's possible the pump would fit, but not fit tight, and the wobble could destroy both shafts. The fit of the taper is what transmits the torque between the two shafts.....not the key or setscrew.
Jim

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just acquired a 20 H.P. Honda V twin (electric start)that was on a portable generator. the generator part is gone BUT the engine runs fine. It has a tapered shaft that went into the gen. Is this taper the same as on a pump? and if so , what size pump will best work on it?

Give me the length of the adapter and the diameters of the small and big ends and I'll figure out the taper for you. Some tapers were the same for all equipment.

One thing to watch with Honda engines is the taper. Some were not adapters, the crankshaft was machined that way.

I'll figure out the GPM that a 20 horse motor can put out and get it up for you.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the formula:

PSI X GPM ÷ 1100 = HP REQUIRED

So to work backward from 20 Hp.

20 x 1100 ÷ PSI = GPM

22000 ÷ 100 PSI = 220 GPM

22000 ÷ 50PSI = 440 GPM

Does this help ya out?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
freestanding pump or direct mount with a keyway
tips & tricks from around the net;
  1. cut a piece of bar stock, drill it out and cut a matching taper inside, and cut a keyway. Slip it on the crank, insert bolt & washer
  2. install a pully have a machine shop cut a keyway cut off the extra taper
  3. buy a undersized lovejoy coupling and have it machined to match, put a counterbore in to clear the bolt to hold it on the taper

this looks like an option, pricey, have one made like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-shaft...-Pressure-Washer-Engine-bushing-/111797596349

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks for all the reply's! I sold it today and made a couple of $$ to boot! I wanted to make something out of this engine with a pump BUT money talks !!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread