kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you mean Pelton wheel designs? Lots of water where I am, but it's all frozen at the moment. Even when thawed it doesn't ever go anywhere! :BangHead:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you elaborate a bit more? Is the trommel to be in the water, or is the power to be transmitted onto a land unit? What size do you have in mind? How portable are you looking for? What's the water flow and other characteristics where you wish to use this?

I had an idea years ago about using water flow to power a small charger that would keep a 12v water pump going all day. Didn't need a lot of water flow for what I had in mind, but also the water flow was very minimal. My final idea was to make a floating dam that could be extended and would harness the top 12" of flow across the stream. If you have ample water flow, this will not be an issue.

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No plan in mind. Trommel barrel is about 8" round. Peltron wheel I meant to spin the drum on my highbanker.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need high pressure to run a pelton wheel. I have one on a rock crusher that runs off of the side port of a standard dredge motor. Originally it was built for running sewing machines. Still, they all need pressure to run...

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah something like that. You say high pressure reed Lukens. I plan on using a 2" gas Honda water pump. Can I just reduce down the output to make it high pressure or will that burn the pump out.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah something like that. You say high pressure reed Lukens. I plan on using a 2" gas Honda water pump. Can I just reduce down the output to make it high pressure or will that burn the pump out.

Use a wye connector.
Run one hose to the spray bar.
Run a separate hose with a high pressure nozzle to the pelton wheel.

brass_nozzle2.jpg small nozzle.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw where someone brazed spoons onto an old circular saw blade to make a wheel, it isnt a true Pelton wheel though without the split in the cups. There are a lot of small pelton wheels for sale on ebay. I have been thinking about doing the same for my trommel build.

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw where someone brazed spoons onto an old circular saw blade to make a wheel, it isnt a true Pelton wheel though without the split in the cups. There are a lot of small pelton wheels for sale on ebay. I have been thinking about doing the same for my trommel build.

I'm not buying any pre made stuff. I like fabricating all my own equipment. Just wondering if anyone has done this too because I can't find too much on YouTube to copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread