First Dredge!

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya fellas! Well today, I put some money down on my first dredge! Kind of a weird situation. My friend manages a pawn shop and called me up. He hooked me up, $500! But I have not seen it in person yet. I just have a picture of it. Anyone know what kind of dredge this is? I know he said that it's a B&S engine with a Keene sluice. Not sure of the size though. Any help would be appreciated! I won't actually get it until I pay the rest off in full, and I have plenty of time left for that since I'm in Alaska and everything is still frozen.

00r0r_ebDiVwH14yJ_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Ithink I saw that on Craigs list... Good find for the price! 2.5"? Enjoy the new toy (about May)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it was on CL. I'm not sure of the size, nor is my friend. I'm going to check it out tonight after I'm off work.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one real similar to that. its supposed to float on a single truck innertube. Nice lightweight little machine.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see some yellow on the side hope its the floats, motor 3 1/2 HP looks like pump may be necked down to a 1"
2" or 2 1/2" suction hose looks like the stiff pressure hose, might need to replace it with something more flexible.
probably a good first dredge, once you get it, come back on here with some good photos.
maybe we can offer some tips on getting it set up, and make improvements before taking it out miles from nowhere.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd bet money thats a 2.5". The pump looks good, looks like it has the aluminum backplate on the pump, mine has the plack marlex back and it has warped, doesnt seal up perfectly but it works. Especially on such a small dredge new more flexible hose would be a good idea, using the old hose that came with mine I actually flipped the sluice over wrastling with the hose. There isnt much more sobering of a moment lol.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY old keene box-see lock system for riffles-with a newer SEMI FLAIR header from the late 90s style-which rocks as a real 2 fer 1 deal. Looks like a keene pump with hose bib for a blaster nozzle which is great as you really must have one to produce and clean bedrock. Run the box low and slow for fines as that header will spread out the flow like a headerless or run'r up lift up the jet a bit and blaster into that header as a basher crasher to remove overburden. I have mounted a 4" same header on,over 20 years, and great results. Have a extra new one for backup in case I wear out another. That price rocks for AK but I am like winner as hoping them floats go with it. If not use a t bone setup as just 2 tubes and all you have is a submarine as no swivel nozzle. I still have a 2000+ model full flare puddle jumper and never underestimate them versatile go anywhere setups.....but B & G=briggs stratton?????John

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B&S, sorry, fat fingered it. I wasn't able to get pictures last night, I was in a hurry when I went in to put money down and ended up buying my wife a necklace. Ha. I'm going to text my buddy today to see if those are pontoons next to it, or if it is stand alone. Is there a good place to buy dredge parts? New hoses, pontoons, etc?

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old one is yard at up graded to a 3-4-5 dredges all different depending on state or Creek I'm on always good to have back ups. Nice find may yeller flow

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Tinted Snow the next thing youll need is for a experienced dredger to show you the ropes on using your new dredge! here in Misery I offered up to our club a FREE weekend learning how-2 -use the darn thing and NEVER got a reply! I give up!:BangHead:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just call them Briggs or Briggs & Stratton, I had one like that I set it up on truck tubes or just on the rocks in smaller streams
its small so you can get into places easier, might find hoses here http://www.akmining.com/map.htm
on the one i had the powerjet plugged into the header at a steep angle so I added piece of hose before it went into the box
I used vac/dust collector fittings from home depot to connect suction hoses, much cheaper

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Winners is right on AK Mining & Diving. Only place in ANC for Dredge parts. All Pro Music in Fairbanks has hose too but long drive :-)

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went and measured it today. 2.5". No pontoons also. Still stoked on it!
IMG_3507.JPG IMG_3505.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like it is in great shape! way nicer than mine came. That square frame is for sitting on a truck innertube. Use some bungee cords to hold it on. looks like there is somthing in the bundle of hose, power jet or suction nozzle? nothing like a new flexible piece of suction hose but you could probably put some gas and oil in her and get started with just what you have there.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Suction nozzle. There's also like a hundred feet of hose in the tub. That stuff that folds flat. Not sure what it's for

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's a good place to get good flexible hose? And what's a normal good length to get?

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
The blue hose wont have any application with this but will be good for your highbanker when you get it (and you will get it :-) )
The piece in the back looks more like a jet log than a suction nozzle.
For hose go to Alaska Mining & Diving over on Commercial St.

Auhunt

Dec 7, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They simply!E that a small one .It easy to put together. It perfect begginer dredge have were here to help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread