Hopper and Sluice Angle

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A high banker hopper is not just for classifying and rejecting oversize, it is for washing dirt, clay and gold off of them. Different feed material conditions should dictate the hopper angle IMO. Stream gravels are usually already clean and loose so a relatively steep angle should be ok. Dug bank run material usually is coated so a shallower angle may be necessary to properly clean them.

Good luck

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set it so you get a good wash of the material.
Set the sluice so that the undersize isn't lingering too long.

Just like in a stream sluice look for dancing material and even material that is moving up against the flow because of the eddy.
That's the nice thing about power sluices the lags allow for adjustment based on flow and material. same for a leg set for a stream sluice.
I lika a stand because you can pull the sluice and put it back and have it be set for the proper drop and side to side level already.

OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha. That's what I was thinking. As long s ur getting the eddies your good in my opinion lol

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
What Highbanker you running? Home made, production? I have the smaller Keene Highbanker attached to my A52. I use a board in the hopper for bank run material to hold it for a good wash. It's can be a PITA, but it works.

OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to try to make one thisnweekend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread