Gold with Mercury?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks! One simple question. Why am I finding gold mixed with mercury? When I first found those pickers and flakes they just had a hint of mercury on a corner. I put them on my guzzler and when I got home and took them out of the guzzler and put them on my pan they all looked now lime if they where soaked in mercury? Why am I seeing mercury on my gold? Is this normal? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488744487.743579.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a guzzler?

If there is a source of mercury in the stream and gold comes in contact with it the mercury will adhere to the gold.
A tiny bit of mercury goes a long way when coating gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plastic gold sniffer bottle, jejeje sorry.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can burn the mercury off your gold, do it out doors and don't breath the toxic fumes.

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think its better to use a retort or keep it in solution with using acid to remove the mercury. Burning it off puts the mercury into a vapor and once it goes up into air it will condense and come back to the ground and contaminate the soil , If Im not mistaken! But there again I don't use any of these ideas myself !! What little gold I get ,I usually end up giving it to someone for their help!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its better to use a retort or keep it in solution with using acid to remove the mercury. Burning it off puts the mercury into a vapor and once it goes up into air it will condense and come back to the ground and contaminate the soil , If Im not mistaken! But there again I don't use any of these ideas myself !! What little gold I get ,I usually end up giving it to someone for their help!

Good point Russ,

A retort allows you to safely remove the mercury from the gold and reclaim the mercury for repeated use.
Personally I do/did use a retort. I recently sold it along with all of my mercury.

If it was just those three little flakes shown above then burning off that small bit of coating would not necessarily justify the expense of purchasing a retort.
However if removing mercury becomes a habit I would definitely recommend the purchase and use of a retort.
Especially when using a ball of mercury to absorb your fine and micro gold from pans of concentrate.

GG~

Last edited:

Shankersbend

Dec 6, 2016
Oroville, WA.
Detector(s) used
Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut a potato in half, scoop out a small amount of spud, put gold/mercury in spud, put spud back together, wrap in foil, put in a fire, bake spud, when cool take out gold.
Mercury will burn off and go into spud, turning it black. Gold will be cleaned.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The only trouble I see in using a retort is that some people just don't know how to use one safely! it could explode if you don't know how-2- use it! Or about keeping your mercury under water and double them up in plastic viles . and putting them into plastic zip lock bags. Double up or even triple the need to protect the viles!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only trouble I see in using a retort is that some people just don't know how to use one safely! it could explode if you don't know how-2- use it! Or about keeping your mercury under water and double them up in plastic viles . and putting them into plastic zip lock bags. Double up or even triple the need to protect the viles!!

I stored my mercury (5 lbs worth) inside a sealed bottle inside a zip lock bag inside a gallon jug of water inside a Tupperware container. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cut a potato in half, scoop out a small amount of spud, put gold/mercury in spud, put spud back together, wrap in foil, put in a fire, bake spud, when cool take out gold.
Mercury will burn off and go into spud, turning it black. Gold will be cleaned.

That is how they did it in the old days, but I wouldn't recommend it. How are you going to safely dispose of the potato afterwards?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're in an area like yours. Bring an extra bottle for the mercury. Grab up those little balls before they get your gold. Any you see that's NOT in a ball already has the gold. So more of a clean gold &
merc/gold bottle.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you mean like this days cleanup from north carolina?, in two days it went from 90 percent gold to 90 percent mercury. ill put it in the retort when i get more

KIMG0375.jpg

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa and I thought I found a lot of gold with merc!

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it was only on some of the gold but spread since i put it all together in one vial. im one property downstream from a "processing plant" from back in the 1800 and early 1900s. they used longtoms and a crusher with mercury slick plates at the ends of the sluice. i have a nugget that one side is mercury and the other is gold. it mustve bounced out the end and across the slick plate. i also occasionally get small puddles of mercury in my sluice.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a tiny spot even if not covering a flake or picker you find, even if a partial covering, will migrate to other gold in your vial. Even more so if its a good covering or amalgam.

Try to keep it separated. Though not everyone carries two snuffers.

The worst situation is to let fine gold in with any amalgam any gold that can will become part of it.

Dealing with flakes pickers and a little color is one thing. You can burn it off with a torch, tater, retort or in a cast iron pot with some sand in it over a hot bed of coals.
All of that is to be done carefully and in a well ventilated area. DO NOT heat fine gold in stainless steel.

If you have amalgam and heat it you are going to get a sponge of gold as all the gold is going to stick together as the merc. cooks off. Breaking it down is a process not for those just getting into dealing with mercury.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put the gold with mercury on it in a small amount of nitric acid.
The acid will not touch the gold but dissolves the mercury

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks! One simple question. Why am I finding gold mixed with mercury? When I first found those pickers and flakes they just had a hint of mercury on a corner. I put them on my guzzler and when I got home and took them out of the guzzler and put them on my pan they all looked now lime if they where soaked in mercury? Why am I seeing mercury on my gold? Is this normal? View attachment 1422877

Old timers used mercury on copper slick plates to catch fine gold, they lost quite allot of it. There are also places with free mercury naturally occurring. As stated above a little mercury goes a long ways and it will contaminate any other gold in contact with it. I view mercury as a valuable commodity and would definitely use a distillation apparatus to capture and collect it. Even a couple of test tubes and a glass tube connecting them would work as a retort for small batches.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always read not to use glass for a mercury retort, not sure why. I would be really careful trying to jury rig somthing with test tubes and glass tubing.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ive seen one made with a black pipe cap and a j shaped piece of 1/4 or 3/8" copper tube with a brass fitting that screwed into the cap. the open end of the tube dripped the mercury into a catch container

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread