what kind of pump for 50 hp motor?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just daydreaming of what I could do to get water up a fair hill. Lets say 75-100 feet or more above the stream level. If I installed multiple jets from one pump assisting a second pump to get enough water to run a dry land up to 5 inches, lets say.
Could I pull it off with a subaru 1700-1800 EA71 or EA81 motor mounted on a trailer maybe?

It's just an abstract idea, but I figure somebody here might know enough to tell me if it's worable and what kind of pump or pumps I would be looking for.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Fair hill indeed! Dave Frank did just that with multiple jets of his design BUT not to that height! With a big enough engine and pump you should be able to do it with one pump , BUT priming that pump would be the problem if the pump wasn't at water level! As you probly know , its easier to push water that to suck it up! Pluse that hose full of water going uphill would be heavy and need to be secured to prevent it from slipping back down hill! I was just looking at a Honda 22 H.P. engine and wanting to mount a Keene 600 GPM pump for a pontoon boat. BUT I didn't go any further!

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just want to say I have driven cars with less HP and they went up some serious hills :D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you need is simply a positive displacement pump as it opens and shuts akin to a car engine and up the hill she goes with much less hp . John

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and to get it to prime, you can use a "y" valve splitter closer to the pump and have one end of the y open or a short length of hose and the other the hose going up the hill. get the pump running and pumping thru the open side, then close it and open the hill hose side. you can also install a floor mount sailboat hand pump bilge to the one side of the y fitting to prime the pump if it is higher by more than 5 ft above the water level

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you need is simply a positive displacement pump as it opens and shuts akin to a car engine and up the hill she goes with much less hp . John

I was thinking about something along those lines this morning. Maybe somthing like a two cylinder graco type pump design. Using hdpm piston rings to avoid grease.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say I have driven cars with less HP and they went up some serious hills :D

I thought about that, but then I got to thinking... "But how long of a 2 inch hose filled with water can the old subaru pull up a steep hill"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread