Feb 7, 2016
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
30" Prospector BGT,
Garret pans (10", 14", SuperSluice),
Home-built Gold Hog-ish Highbanker a la Raptor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed here (or somewhere else on the forum). I did a quick search and found nothing.

Which of these two products works better? Or is it 6 of one, half dozen of the other? Are there certain situations where one will work better than the other, but the other way around in other situations? I'm building a highbanker, and am trying to decide on matting options. The sluice portion will be two separate boxes 9" wide by 48" long.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
its only money ! Buy both and you decide which is best! then let us know what you decided. I bought Gold Hog mats for my dredges BUT have yet to get my last dredge into the water. So I cant say either one is best , BUT both of them should work fine and Doc at Gold Hog has the most designs.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GH has half a dozen or more different mats that fit together. They are each six inches long, so a 36" mat can have six entirely different capture zones.

Dream Mat seems like a good design. Various youtubers seem happy with it.

Both mats will catch gold. My experience is limited to Gold Hog and it catches chunks and gold that looks like powder, so I figure it's doing the job.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the looks of the dream mat. I have found some of my best gold in eddys.

mpgken

Oct 3, 2016
Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure the Dream mat would be better than GH. The idea is to trap different sizes and shapes of gold and the only way to do this is by changing capture zones. Dream mat doesn't do this so it will always let many different sizes and shapes of gold blow on out. That is no better than expanded over moss. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results isn't as smart as changing things up so the different gold has more opportunities to be captured.

I would say anyone asking a question about GH mats and any other doesn't understand how to catch gold and should spend a few days watching GH videos to understand why different capture zones are needed to maximize the gold you capture.

Your going to all that trouble and hard work of digging the dirt and running through some equipment to capture as much gold as possible. It only makes sense to learn how to do it properly or you are wasting a lot of effort for little return. But it is your back and your gold to throw away.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I know about Gold Hog mats is that they are a work in progress. Seems new designs are always forthcoming.
They started out with one mat style and have added on more designs year after year. Now I think they are up to TEN different style mats. :o

If they keep this up your sluice is going to need to be 20 feet long to run all of them. :laughing7:

While you are at it wouldn't hurt to also add a section of dream mat, and a section of every other brand mat available if you don't want to take any chances. :tongue3:
Think of all the different shapes and sizes of gold you will not be losing anymore with ten or fifteen or even twenty different style capture zones.
goldpan.png
2barsgold.png
headbang.gif

1l9moo.jpg

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this mat that has been on the market since 2012 in Europe! :icon_scratch:
Made in Russia.
jason-gold-klon-mdetec-main.gif zlatarski-ulei-136_02_LRG.jpg

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
under with righteous ripped carpet.jpg Available in Costco in sporting goods as a 6 x 8' piece for carpet for $19.95. Saw it here in redding not made by shaw but 95% as good. UNBEATABLE-John

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a lot Goodyguy, just found a webshop in Bulgaria.
That mat is a steel (for europe).
Abkut 12 Bucks without shipping, and shipping from BG to Austria could be affordable.
Hm, should ask a bulgarian truck driver. There are so many of them around hehe

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Goodyguy, just found a webshop in Bulgaria.
That mat is a steal (for europe).
About 12 Bucks without shipping, and shipping from BG to Austria could be affordable.
Hm, should ask a bulgarian truck driver. There are so many of them around here

Saw that the prices appeared reasonable but I wasn't sure about the conversion rate.
I would like a couple myself both styles.

GG~

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496383081.947855.jpg
Dream mat works great! If it catches this small gold there should be no problem catching bigger pieces!

Tommat

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Dream Mat distributor, but I can say this with certainty: Dream Mat is the first mat that has been scientifically designed using fluid dynamic principles and physics to develop the mini cyclone cells that catch the gold. Most of all other mats on the market are just re-purposed conveyor belt mats. Everything catches gold and works to a degree. There is nothing that is perfect, but Dream Mat is the closest, able to catch even the finest of gold particles. Test after test against all of the mats on the market revealed Dream Mat excelled at capturing gold. We have a standing challenge with Doc at Gold Hog to do a live test between Gold Hog and Dream Mat..... he has so far declined.

Tommat

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure the Dream mat would be better than GH. The idea is to trap different sizes and shapes of gold and the only way to do this is by changing capture zones. Dream mat doesn't do this so it will always let many different sizes and shapes of gold blow on out. That is no better than expanded over moss. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results isn't as smart as changing things up so the different gold has more opportunities to be captured.

I would say anyone asking a question about GH mats and any other doesn't understand how to catch gold and should spend a few days watching GH videos to understand why different capture zones are needed to maximize the gold you capture.

Your going to all that trouble and hard work of digging the dirt and running through some equipment to capture as much gold as possible. It only makes sense to learn how to do it properly or you are wasting a lot of effort for little return. But it is your back and your gold to throw away.

People ask all the time... "We know dream mat catches the fine gold, but does it catch bigger gold"? Reality is that big gold can be caught easily in just about any system. Bigger gold is really heavy and Dream Mat captures and holds the bigger gold in its hydro-cyclone holding cells, just like it does with fine gold.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bye... Bye in..3.....2....1..........

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Dream Mat distributor, but I can say this with certainty: Dream Mat is the first mat that has been scientifically designed using fluid dynamic principles and physics to develop the mini cyclone cells that catch the gold. Most of all other mats on the market are just re-purposed conveyor belt mats. Everything catches gold and works to a degree. There is nothing that is perfect, but Dream Mat is the closest, able to catch even the finest of gold particles. Test after test against all of the mats on the market revealed Dream Mat excelled at capturing gold. We have a standing challenge with Doc at Gold Hog to do a live test between Gold Hog and Dream Mat..... he has so far declined.

How does the gold swim upstream? I would say it could work but only with the correct feed rate, slope, flow & volume.
I've watched hundreds of video's and tests only one or two are set up just right, most are just expensive miller tables.
others are from newbies they catch gold all the way down... and out the end, but it's the best they have ever used woohooo...
there are some "how to setup" videos from Gold Rat sluices but not so much from mr. Peterson any time mats are mentioned on FB
there he is to sell sell sell, I get tired of hearing about this mat or that mat, IMHO try different ones keep the ones that work...

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure they’ll catch it. Anything will catch it. I made a nose out of clay. Lil nuggie just swirled around. Hanging there a lot like the real thing.

The only real question is wha do they lose?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have the dream mat. I estimated that I lost about 25% of my very fine flour gold. My extension sluice got what the dream mat missed. I quit using it. I still have it and plan to use it in other places where the gold is a bit bigger.

This is what I currently use. (below)

37700842_10156529840944476_5697520717986267136_n.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread