More pump questions

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I really want to get higher on the hill than anyone has ever worked before. I came up with another idea but I really don't know it it works or not. If I have a pump that says it has 100 feet of head and I put another pump up the hill that also has 100 feet of head, then can I double the max head? If i just stick another pump inline every so often can I just truck that water on up the hill? Or does it not work like that in practice? It does sound a bit too easy.......

Granted I understand that significantly increases fuel costs, but the goal is hitting rich areas that were not practical to work in the past due to logistics reasons.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one dumps into a 35/55(depends on gpm) gallon barrel or lined pond,and the other picks up from there. But if the barrel goes dry 1 pump fries so you need 2 folks to protect your pump investment-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The way Dave Frank does it , he has multiple jets on the line and multiple pumps down by the water , BUT I'm not sure how that would work with 200 foot (or so ) of elevation.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
More food for thought - by the time you reach max head, you have very low water flow and almost no pressure. You would be better off having a pump that has a max head well above your target area - say a 350-500PSI pump. Wouldn't give you a lot of water volume, but you wouldn't have to worry about the pump running dry.

polekaat

Jan 5, 2006
Ramah, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II
Technetics G2+
5" keene dredge
2 1/2" keene highbanker/dredge combo
Keene A-52 sluice
4 Stack Deluxe Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've run two pumps in series before. We set a 4" keene dredge pump near the river, and another pumps suction tied to the discharge of the first, about 100' away. The combo ran our highbanker very well.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I'm just about trying the same thing. The first thing that seems to me is that the figures used for "head" calculations uses the same size hose all the way. I need to pump a long ways up to our project. I'm not even going to try the same size hose all the way. I'll be reducing the size the further up I go. 3 inch to 2 1/2 in to 2 to 1 1/12 to 1 etc. Am I wrong in thinking the less water the pump has to pump up hill the better. By reducing the size as I go reduces the volume, thus reducing the "weight' of water being pumped. I'm not concerned with volume...it will be going into a holding pond. During the day it will (the pond) be recirculated back into the pond and with a little experimenting I'm hoping to add the required amount of water to top the pond off nightly by using the right amount of fuel (1 gallon or two or whatever) after calling it for the day into the pumps tank, crank her up and go back to the homestead knowing the pond will be full the next morning and the pump will "shut off" "kinda automatically". My other thought is to use the hose connection on the pump and just cheap old half inch black irrigation hose the whole way. I purchased a three inch gate valve that I'll put on the pumps main exit so I can adjust the pressure going to the half inch and hopefully not blow anything up. We'll see how it goes...
Just as an after thought and it's late and a bit of gin has been consumed it dawns on me that with a large enough holding pond I might be dredging this year...ha! I'll call it Lake MendoAu.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well I'm just about trying the same thing. The first thing that seems to me is that the figures used for "head" calculations uses the same size hose all the way. I need to pump a long ways up to our project. I'm not even going to try the same size hose all the way. I'll be reducing the size the further up I go. 3 inch to 2 1/2 in to 2 to 1 1/12 to 1 etc. Am I wrong in thinking the less water the pump has to pump up hill the better. By reducing the size as I go reduces the volume, thus reducing the "weight' of water being pumped. I'm not concerned with volume...it will be going into a holding pond. During the day it will (the pond) be recirculated back into the pond and with a little experimenting I'm hoping to add the required amount of water to top the pond off nightly by using the right amount of fuel (1 gallon or two or whatever) after calling it for the day into the pumps tank, crank her up and go back to the homestead knowing the pond will be full the next morning and the pump will "shut off" "kinda automatically". My other thought is to use the hose connection on the pump and just cheap old half inch black irrigation hose the whole way. I purchased a three inch gate valve that I'll put on the pumps main exit so I can adjust the pressure going to the half inch and hopefully not blow anything up. We'll see how it goes...
Just as an after thought and it's late and a bit of gin has been consumed it dawns on me that with a large enough holding pond I might be dredging this year...ha! I'll call it Lake MendoAu.

By reducing your pipe dia. you will gain pressure at the end BUT you'll also add a lot of head pressure to the pump , putting a big load on that engine if you have to pump it far up hill! you would be better off keeping the same size hose all the way if pressure requirements aren't needed. Your just refilling the pond and NOT needing pressure to run some equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread