gravity dredging in washington?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the way I read the rules it says suction dredging. No real differentiation on motorized equipment vs gravity feed that I found. But at the same time apparently gold suckers are allowed. Which are of course hand suction devices. So does anyone know for certain where the gravity dredging technique falls? I know I could just write and ask WDFW, but they always want more information than I want to give them. So I'm asking on here.

Beyond that. With gravity dredging. Could you use rigid pipe for the top end over the hump and then switch to layflat on the down hill run? That would save allot on weight and cost if it would work.

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year will be our 4th year using mostly gravity here in Maine.
Lay-flat will not work, period. You CAN use hard pipe joined with 2' pieces of old dredge hose but stream conditions will dictate what you can get away with more than anything.
We just use an old (thick & heavy) Varco? 4" and thread it down through the rocks, keeping it as straight as we can.
We have 2 - 35' sections plus the stinger/nozzle from my 4"... and we leave it there year 'round along with an old crash-box dredge sluice.
(out of sight of the stream)
Priming is a P.I.T.A. some days, but clogs & jams in the hose must be found and cleared quickly or you will lose your prime fast.
Also it would be best to start with fresh/new hose as ANY tiny crack-split-damaged section will suck air and frustrate the hell out of you!

We get ours started-primed by using a plumbers plug at the bottom end, then gulp water in at the top until full. Then release the plug and slip it on the flare/crashbox. No gas, no noise for people to track down, NICE!

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.62 gram Nugget 2016.jpg

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off are we talking siphon style or true gravity? spaghetti gold here does siphon style. Think of it as siphoning gas out of the tank. The issues that needs to be over come this way is having enough drop in a short enough run that you can the material.

True gravity is where you use a traditional dredge with a jet or suction nozzle and have a enough drop (head pressure) to power the jet/SN. That is easier said than done short of a water fall. The New 49ers have been working on it for the last 2 years and were finally able to get it to work some. It took over 500' of hose to get far enough up the hill to start to get enough pressure to work. You can get the jet/SN to work at lower pressures but it is not enough to create enough suction to move gravel. At medium pressure you develop enough suction to move material but at not enough to keep the hose clear fast enough and you get plug up hell.

Once you get the right spot to get either to work then you have to find a similar spot that will work just as well AND have gold there.

ratled

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Washington if it's in river season then dredge by whatever means you want according to pump and nozzle size allowed, otherwise no sucking, digging or scooping from the in water area.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Washington if it's in river season then dredge by whatever means you want according to pump and nozzle size allowed, otherwise no sucking, digging or scooping from the in water area.

Ahh ok, they kind of got me from a couple of directions on that one then. Thanks

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off are we talking siphon style or true gravity? spaghetti gold here does siphon style. Think of it as siphoning gas out of the tank. The issues that needs to be over come this way is having enough drop in a short enough run that you can the material.

True gravity is where you use a traditional dredge with a jet or suction nozzle and have a enough drop (head pressure) to power the jet/SN. That is easier said than done short of a water fall. The New 49ers have been working on it for the last 2 years and were finally able to get it to work some. It took over 500' of hose to get far enough up the hill to start to get enough pressure to work. You can get the jet/SN to work at lower pressures but it is not enough to create enough suction to move gravel. At medium pressure you develop enough suction to move material but at not enough to keep the hose clear fast enough and you get plug up hell.

Once you get the right spot to get either to work then you have to find a similar spot that will work just as well AND have gold there.

ratled

Yeah, I was thinking on siphoning. I did the math on actual gravity dredging last summer and by the time you get enough drop you are at high risk of blowing the side out of a layflat hose.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Years back George "Buzzard" Massie did a segment of him high banking and got his water from a mine shaft above him and he used PVC pipe and he noted that you always turn the valve on / off (for water) very slowly or you will burst the pipe or valve. That is a habit I got into doing when operating BIG compressors. I'd rather be safe than sorry!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
He was getting some very impressive pressure as I recall. But I must confess, had forgotten all about that show until you mentioned it. :tongue3:

Have wanted for years to get ahold of some of his shows, but just can't seem to find them anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread