3" dredge build

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, first post in a long time

I've had a dredge build in the works for some time, just recently got a pump and got to finishing it up. I have a couple questions:

What kind of angle should I be looking at between the sluice and flare? (I have it set at about 40° because I am running gold hog matting.)

Any good ideas for fabricating a flare? (I have a traffic cone but it's flimsy)

I'm using gold hog matting and I am setting up for shallow water until I can test it. 12"*4' sluice.

Attachments

• 1492880457071891995880.jpg
    1492880457071891995880.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been thinking about making a flare for my 4", it has the old crashbox style header and want my hose to come in at a shallower angle. I have seen a home made flare made out of ABS plastic, the flare itself was made of a piece of pipe cut in half length wise to form the sides and two triangular pieces.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well to me if your dredging shallow water , I'd keep the angle of the flair flat to a slight angle. Otherwise (IMHO) you would be giving up on bottom clearance . Most dredges I've seen had a pivot point for the flair to change for dredging at depths BUT if to much of a angle you'll have ski jump for your water / material and that would disrupt your stratification of the material you just sucked up. BUT you don't want to have a sever angle of the hose at your flair that will cause material jam ups!!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have been thinking about making a flare for my 4", it has the old crashbox style header and want my hose to come in at a shallower angle. I have seen a home made flare made out of ABS plastic, the flare itself was made of a piece of pipe cut in half length wise to form the sides and two triangular pieces.

Maybe instead of modifying your sluice to a flair , why not keep it as-is and make another sluice with a flair. This is what I did for one of my dredges. I'm big on using ABS plastic on sluices ! Lite weight , fairly inexpensive , EZ to work with compared to aluminum.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might be the way to go, I want to go over under on the sluice but I worry it doesnt have enough side wall height, its an old as the hills keene box.

OP
OP
G

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russau, good point, I was having trouble with it jamming on my first test run. I'm thinking​ of going with a crash box style to allow more clearance in shallow water. If I was going to build a flare, I'd use exhaust piping. I may redesign the flare/sluice meeting point.

OP
OP
G

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20170422_125249634.jpg IMG_20170422_125301401.jpg

I'll try and get some better photos this week

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I also used ABS to form my flairs by heating it and forming it over a pipe depending on the size of the dredge in question. The ABS adhesive I used is great. once I apply it to the ABS plastic and clamp it , once cured it'll NEVER come apart again!

OP
OP
G

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABS? Like sheets of it? 3/16" thick? Sounds like an awesome idea, I have only seen it in pipe similar to PVC.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If you can find a plastic supplier near you such as https://www.tapplastics.com/ they have all sorts of thicknesses to choose from. I'm currently working on a small flare/jet for a 2". Have the pieces cut, just gluing them at the moment is giving me some trouble :P

Thanks for posting this site! I saved it to my favorites for future reference!! Gary glue 1 joint at a time to make it EZ on your self !!:hello:

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry rus.. Gary glue? Part of my problem is trying to get a 1/8th thick piece glued to a 1/4 in piece but the 1/8th is unfortunately the sidewall i need to glue in place along the length of it. Just need to jig/clamp it in place. Still at it

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
OHHHHHHHHHHHH Gary glue........ I see what Ive done now!! I missed the comma ! it should read : Gary , glue 1 joint at a time....SORRY for the fat fingers approach!

OP
OP
G

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's quite alright, russau, I built it out of a 3" OD exhaust pipe and 16 gauge sheet. I will have to set that up for my future 4". My pump will finally be here tomorrow!!!!!!! Can't wait to test it out.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there enough room to mount a pulley in there for a compressor?

OP
OP
G

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure I can lion, it's a little tight, but I believe I can.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long arming the nozzle gets old fast its hard on the back and you get a lot more plug ups in the hose as you cant see what not to suck up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread