Haylp!! need better way to dig sand to get boat out in lake for shipwreck viewing!

wavelover

May 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I need a better way (preferrably a lighter weight powertool ) to move sand - dig a trench - other than by hand (bad back in my oldish age lol). I have a shipwreck about a mile off my beach on some land I have in Michigan. I use a creek to get to the lake as there is a shipwreck out about a mile - I use a rowboat, float it down the creek and go visit the wreck. At times though, the sand from the waves pushes back onto the beach to heavily for the creek to drain causing many problems - but also an inability for me to get my boat to the water. Previously I've dug a 2 foot wide, 6 inch deep trench between the lake and the creek (as long as 20 feet) but that's getting too hard now with a back injury. Any ideas for some kind of powertool that is reasonably lightweight 40 lbs perhaps (a guess) that I can push along the beach to move the sand? A snowblower lol? The water from the creek opens up the trench easily but I have to have some kind of small trench to start it going. Also - I don't have a close powersource. So I could go cordless or gas? Also I could take the tool on wagon easily enough to the beach so that's why I'm unsure about weight. I just know I can't push a big heavy thing - and in a week again the waves could fill up my trench anyway (the wave thing is a given - nothing will change the force of those waves:)
THANK YOU FOR ANY IDEAS!!! I MISS GOING OUT THERE TO EXPLORE!! ANY AND ALL IDEAS WELCOME! (btw: a permanent trench is not possible on that rugged area, sand will evi
Enjoy summer everyone!
Wavelover

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend hiring someone who is still young and stupid to dig for you.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Like John said , use a dredge (the bigger , the better) contact a gold club in the area and see if someone would help you BUT $$$ talks and B.S. walks ! good luck

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Duck hunters in Michigan on some of the public hunting areas use winches to get their boats across dikes.
My only concern in your situation is if a stake or deadman would be allowed to use as a point of anchor for a snatchblock.
Guessing from my doings in the state ,a portable anchor stake like one used four wheeling would not be an issue if removed after each use.
The lake is going to win the hydraulics contest.
Leapfrogging a sandbar safely beats trying to go through it.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out (Harbor Freight or similar) for a fresh water/trash pump. But if you have water available within 20 feet or so you can hook up a "blaster nozzle" and blow that sand out. Think of a VERY small version of this:
index.jpg
or like blasting all that crud in the gutter with a garden hose except stronger.
It would entail some hoses etc. but would save you back. Might be a bit heavy for your boat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions