ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of my "rigs"... built by Brownie.
Rebuilt several times and "tweaked"... by me. heh

DSC00800.JPG DSC00801.JPG DSC00802.JPG

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have my air snorkel on the opposite side of my dredge from the motor and it goes about 3 feet up in the air. It also makes a convenient place to hang up my air hose when not in use.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my air snorkel on the opposite side of my dredge from the motor and it goes about 3 feet up in the air. It also makes a convenient place to hang up my air hose when not in use.

This would be the correct configuration / situation.

mortar

Jul 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at this diagram, I dont think this would work.

Typical hookah setups (hookah is around 1ATM or 33 feet) put out around 50psi and 2 to 4cfm per diver. If you are working hard, you will need more than 2CFM.

Looking at this, at 50 psi you get a little less than 2 cfm, and it never gets to 4, and then you have to consider what depth you want to max at.

hookah max is 2.55 at 65psi, while this one is about 1.75 at 65psi

It needs to be an oil free compressor, not necessarily a medical grade compressor.

A very common air compressor to use for hookah is the Thomas 1020. (2.62 CFM at 50PSI)

SuperSnorkel
View attachment 1457269 View attachment 1457270 View attachment 1457273

Hello, sorry about bringing up an old post.. I am in the pool business and sometimes have to get in the pools to inspect and do repairs. We have this same Thomas 1020 setup that's seen it's better days. I'm putting together a new rig . I was able to put together a system by buying things separately online for half the price as that the places that sell pool and diving rigs charge. Since the 1020 is no longer available I found a 1hp compressor very similar that rates at 6.0 CFM displacement .

So I bought a hose, 2nd stg reg, inline filter and a intake filter for the compressor. The fellow I bought the hose from on Ebay tells me I need a water separator filter and at least a 1gl tank to keep the pressure constant. The original rig we have doesn't have any of those things. Do I need that?

Here's the specs on the compressor which I have no idea what it means

Horsepower: 1
SCFM@40 psig: 4.5
SCFM@90 psig: 3.0
Displacement CFM: 6.0
Bore: 2 3/8"
Stroke: 9"

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
A air tank is HIGHLY recommended as far as I'm concerned! My dredge used a S.S. korny keg that I got from a guy that worked for a soda company. I like being able to open the lid for a complete cleaning and inspection !!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's jumping in a pool to inspect things, he said he didn't need a tank before, that being said I also use a soda keg, it was a huge improvement on the plastic keene tank its easy to suck that air working against the current moving rocks around. I cannot wait to run my new to me PCA10.

mortar

Jul 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's jumping in a pool to inspect things, he said he didn't need a tank before, that being said I also use a soda keg, it was a huge improvement on the plastic keene tank its easy to suck that air working against the current moving rocks around. I cannot wait to run my new to me PCA10.

Yes, I may be under water 15-20 minutes at the most. This is the same rig I've been using for years.
ed-hh.jpg

This is the setup that the company we bought the original is selling now. From my research the compressor is probably made by Thomas too.
https://www.leaktools.com/super-snorkel-tankless-dive-unit.html

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have extensions on my T80 inlets:
DSC00028.JPG
But after installing a hot water unit on one of the hondas, extending the muffler up a foot, and having a problem
with the pumps sucking 88 to 100 degree heated air (gets hot here on those summer days) that dried my mouth
out I made a big change that seems to be working well this year. I cut the extensions down and ran cheap plastic
drier vent hose down and forward about three feet and the inlets are about six inches off the water with white socks
for filtering. The micron filtering idea is I guess o.k. for some but hells bells I breath the air here 24/7 and any filter
I have tried cuts the air flow down. Nice moist cool air, filtering to stop the bugs, is what I've been breathing all season.
DSC00023.JPG

p.s. Kinda hard to see but notice the ratchet tie down at the front of the box to lift and lower the box depending
on material? Mentioned it in a previous thread. Keene's system just doesn't work when the box is full and you are by yourself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread