Air test on Hookah from T80 on dredge?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my air as clean as possible but you have to remember its a homemade system.
I wash the white felt filter with dish soap and let it dry, I double up the grey felt on the bearing side
if you only have one and there is a distance between it and the pulley you could have air getting in.
I use USP mineral oil on that one, I test my pressure with a gauge I got off a commercial air compressor
I try to set it at 40-42 psi before it pops off then i can see it drops to 35-38 psi
if you get less might tighten the belt or time to replace the diaphragm, I sometimes let it go a while just cant exert yourself.
some people clean their hose and regulator with dilute bleach. I don't like that. I use enzyme to kill off any bacteria,
I use Sink-the Stink brand on my hose's and regulator, at the start of a dive I like to bleed off the air at the regulator
to get rid of any off gassing in the system, if you want to know the air quality you would need a diagnostic sampling meter.
here's one of "indy" testing for CO

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks winners
Great video. I've heard all kinds of stuff about snorkels and I tend to believe this guy's test equipment. It's possibly true about some things like wind direction, etc. but it appears that directing the exhaust might be a better solution than be overly worried about the air from a snorkeled T-80.
The first poster didn't say he used snorkels but you can make your own pretty cheap with PVC. A couple of things that can get sucked up from the T'80's intake are heat (engine, etc.) and fumes like oil, etc. so I would think that the further your air source from the workings of your dredge the better. I was actually thinking that this year I would experiment with my snorkels just above the water line....now I don't know. It's supposed to hit 106 degrees this Saturday here in Oregon and I feel the effects of sucking that HOT air when underwater. Sure the hose and tanks do help to cool it somewhat but I'm an air hog. And long about Aug/Sept.this creek is far from what I'd call cool. Hum hum (brain working...stand back)....in-line air tight ice chest just big enough for a block of ice...but when it melts might cause a problem..HA! Dry ice? Carbon D problem so...I'll call it a night.
p.s.: I just pour a shot of gin or two down my snorkels and call it good to go, kills two birds with one stone kinda thing.
In case not everyone knows about "extended intake attachments" for a T-80 check this out:
View attachment 1464849

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you can ask a dive shop where you can get air tested, but from what I heard it's quite spendy. But they will test for particulates, CO2, CO, oils, ect.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
As far testing the air quality why not try to buddy up with a fireman and see if he could demo this device at the fire house. You could always rig up some tubs of water to recirculate and run the engine / pump...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread