my highbanker build

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the bigger HB together. 10" X 40" with a 14" x 40" flair. Ran pretty well but I need more water flow to really run it well. The 2" trash pump running the 2" dry land nozzle worked great, but I need more water going through the box.

I only ran it about 2 hours sucking up some flood gold but more time was spend dialing it in and getting the dry land nozzle working good. Hope to be able to spend more time and actually get down to bed rock and see what may be hiding there.

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
caught all the material coming off the sluice. Not even a spec of gold was found in the tailings so I am pretty damn happy with the set up!

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass above concrete! Alert! Alert!
Thats what happened to my first vial of gold. OOPS tinkle tinkle *sob*

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass above concrete! Alert! Alert!
Thats what happened to my first vial of gold. OOPS tinkle tinkle *sob*

Try it with a pan of nice clean gold that was about 3 times as much as the pan shown above. After a long day of digging, running the cons at home and panning it all clean. Set it on the table to mix a drink, my buddy was trying to take pics of it and dumped it all over himself and the floor. I only got about 1/4 of it back... damnit!

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking out loud here. I have been running a 2" dryland nozzle in this HB and am thinking about going to a 3" do you think the sluice will be able to handle the 3" If I am going to be buying a bigger pump I may as well get the ability to move a lot more dirt while I am at it.

Thinking even louder.. if I stick with the 2" set up. What are your thoughts about running a 2" jet log with another pump while still using the 2" dryland nozzle on its own pump. I am not really worried about creating additional suction just thinking about putting more water through the box at a consistent rate. Thoughts??

AUAlaska

Sep 24, 2017
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi AKflyer I live in Anchorage, new to this forum. I saw your post, this summer I picked up a piglet for testing and I love it set up as a 2" with dry land nozzle.
Hog1.JPG Hog2.jpg Hog3.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Adding another in - line jet to your system will cause turbidity to your material that is in the process of stratifying in the hose after the dry land jet. You'll probly end up losing fine gold in the process !

OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like running my mini as a 2" as well. The newer one I made is just a touch bigger than the raptor flair and I don't think running it as a 2" is enough for it. Doc said he ran it as a 2.5" but it did better at 2". With the wider sluice on mine I think it can handle the 2.5" or 3" I have some 3" hose so I am going to get a nozzle for it and try it out. Worst case I will just have to build a new sluice for it, I know the header box will handle the flow with ease. I am having a lot of fun building and experimenting with various mouse traps to see what I can come up with to work the best around here.

Good point on the in line jet, but with running it through the high banker will it really matter? It cant mix it up more than shoveling in dirt at the same time as having someone on the nozzle would it?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What you are talking about with using the "dry land nozzle" I assume a suction nozzle with the extra inlet to make your own puddle. Running a second pump and putting a jet log inline is basically how a Vortxrex dry land dredge works, in the Vortxrex system two PVC quad jets are used, the suction power is great enough you don't manipulate the nozzle but wash material down to it with a blaster hose. The peculiar nature of the beast is that it can suck up material dry, actually submersing the business end will throw it out of wack. Since the material will be discharged into a highbanker hopper the worry of added turbidity isn't of concern. It shouldn't be an issue going up to 3" as you already stated you need more flow on the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info. I had not looked too much into the vortrex as it looked to be a bit too cumbersome for what I want to do. Guess I will just play with my set up and do some experimenting and see what happens! Thanks for your input, it pretty much lines up with what I was tossing around in my feeble brain.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cumbersome is a good way to put it, I tried playing with mine but for it to be a one man show its going to need a little trommel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread