Pump problems

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys so I just put together my recirculating sluice for home use and everything was going great until my pump starting having issues. It's a Tsunami T-1200, brand new, and I'm running off 12V battery. It works perfectly for a few minutes and then it slowly slows to a trickle of water. I can hear the pump still functioning but the water just trickles. If I unplug it, wait a while and try it again, it will work great with nice pressure for like a minute then go to a trickle again. Anyone know what my problem might be? I can attach pictures if it would help.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a filter to prevent plug up with scum-paint strainer sieve sacks work great 4 for $2 at Home Depot others also. Does it need a fuse to keep from heat overload??-John

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was using a makeshift filter. I was actually using my 120 mesh classifier and it worked great until it didn't anymore. I work on a construction site and I asked the electrician and he said it wasn't necessary. However, I don't actually know for certain. My only thought was the battery was dying, but you could still hear the motor and after I let it rest for a while it works powerfully right off the bat but goes to a trickle.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like the impeller is on the verge of seizing and burning out the motor. If you were running it in dirty water with only 120 mesh for filter that is a good possibility (silts and clay are 3 to 10 times or so smaller). There also may be suspended organic matter contributing to your problem. I would try running it in clean water for a while and if it continues to work then you would know that you need a better filter.

Good luck.

Last edited:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the battery voltage when its under load. If the battery is low you may still hear the pump turning but it wont be turning fast enough to produce much flow.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something like this should work but there are other ways to put them together....just need a settling tank in front of the reservoir that feed water comes from.
https://youtu.be/hgHkPwvNvgQ

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have two of the same pumps, one works great while the other runs exactly as you describe.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one like that, work fine on a fresh charge of the battery, the next day should have been 50% left on the battery
but the pump only ran for a few minutes, my charger had died so I put my Rule pump on it and it worked fine.
once I got a new charger I would just start with it fully charged it would work fine but only about half as long as it should have.
could've been a weak cell in the battery, I was using an old car battery it died, now I use the smaller 20ah ATV/wheelchair battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread