Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do yourself a favor and google cotton clothes and water, find me one link that recommends it besides your best friend. Dont take my word for it.

I have worn thin cotton gloves inside leather, when working with water and the cold. Probably not the best out there...But worked better than nothing. Cheap, and disposable.

I have no experience working underwater with them, just soaking wet. It was for sure, better than nothing!

The guys that wear cotton outdoors in the winter? Are the real outdoors men! Tough dudes! They don't need fancy booties or google! :laughing7:

What I'm getting at...There are 1000's of guys going to work everyday in all kinds of weather. Out in it all day long, wet and cold, blood thinned from being drunk the night before. And I don't know many that wore special gloves. They picked them up in the gas station (because they lost them yesterday)with advill for the hangover, to hit the cold wet freezing day again. :laughing7: Don't know one person that got hypothermia.

Last edited:

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah and those are the old guys on here with hand problems just telling you, it will be fine take some advil. I dont think any Dr would recommend wearing cotton in cold water for best protection. Stupid is stupid does, Im protecting my hands so when Im old and salty I will still have feeling in my finger tips, good luck wearing cotton-

remember he's dredging, underwater for hours. cotton gloves really? Thats funny- Think it through

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah and those are the old guys on here with hand problems just telling you, it will be fine take some advil. I dont think any Dr would recommend wearing cotton in cold water for best protection. Stupid is stupid does, Im protecting my hands so when Im old and salty I will still have feeling in my finger tips, good luck wearing cotton-

remember he's dredging, underwater for hours. cotton gloves really? Thats funny- Think it through

Haha...:laughing7: Psssssttt You already sound old and salty! Just sayin!.......... You may be there already! I think it may have crept up on ya!

well, anyhow...I could really care less about the glove thing. I just know it was better than nothing for what I was doing.

Added.....And after reading a few other threads, I'm noticing it has nothing to do with gloves at all. I didn't know there was issues and history going on when I posted.

Last edited:

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy has problems with his hands, if he's already wearing diving gloves then it's a real problem.
I'm guessing he's using gloves already
Advocating cotton gloves is not best for anyone with hand problems , would you agree?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy has problems with his hands, if he's already wearing diving gloves then it's a real problem.
I'm guessing he's using gloves already
Advocating cotton gloves is not best for anyone with hand problems , would you agree?

Your going to get carpel tunnel! You won't have to worry about your hands! Your wrists are going to hurt! I got your point already! I don't have to agree, but I read your response too.... They are all valid!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dive gloves are expensive and only last one trip, the thicker the more cumbersome, I've tried them all,
In cold water inner gloves and socks allow the water to warm up, like a wetsuit it keeps the cold water from rushing in.

to the OP, the real problem is all the little pebbles you have to constantly move out of the hole, might not seem like much
but doing it all day the repetitive action is the bane of the smaller dredges, might think about moving up to at least a 4 inch.

what I use in May when its cold cold. (two seasons, so far so good)
coating with 3M 5200 marine adhesive / most of the rest of the year I just use the cotton grip gloves
DSC05711.JPG ... 3896.jpg

Last edited:

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bring a turkey fryer to the creek and dip my hands in Hot water once in a while. Also, vitamin I (ibuprophen) with a pinch of salt for the muscles. Wearing wrist braces at night really helps too.

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a mechanic, too. My hands always get sore after a weekend of dredging. Just not used to the motions and forces required to move rocks. It's not the same as wrenching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that a the thin nitrile gloves put on before a neoprene glove cuts the cold in half at least. I never go panning without them now in icy water.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
02-28-2013 07;15;44PM clear creek triple 6.JPG hahahaha 44 years experience talks and NO sore hands-John...troll away as this thread is dead to me now.....

Last edited:

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1488052 hahahaha 44 years experience talks and NO sore hands-John...troll away as this thread is dead to me now.....

Love the dredge! I have the same one, minus floats and pump/motor. Still have yet to complete and use it. I'll be happy as hell when i finally do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nitrile gloves over 5mm wetsuit gloves is a good warm and hard wearing combo... but what ever you use, the key I have found to keeping hands warm is not to have gloves that are to tight fitting that they reduce blood circulation....same with socks and footwear

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hahaha, if you wear a magnet while dredging, you are quickly going to have a ball of magnetite grinding on your wrist like sandpaper. At the least, its going to be constantly sticking to your nozzle.

Just wear it when you sleep. Be +

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any of you dredgers hear of a wetsuit heater setup???HA! My problem more than the cold is combining cold water AND them dang 5 1/4 inch round cobbles that my nozzle sucks up and slams into my fingers. I often have my fingers into the nozzle when I'm not hogging bottom ouch... but the good thing is that you don't notice the pain of yur frozen hands until you are out and warm. There is a product (for horses) called Bigeloil liquid gel that I rub on everywhere, well pretty much, that hurts. Used alot for horses sore legs with a wrap around over it. SO HERE is the bottom line for them darn cotton gloves....apply liberal amount of Bigeloil gel over hands and then apply a pair of nice warm dry COTTON GLOVES !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread